• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small employer & California workman's comp

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SMALLEMPLOYER

What is the name of your state? California

I am a VERY small home-based business looking to hire my teenage kids to help me part time and summers--I have NO other employees (except myself and my wife if I incorporate the business). I cannot get a straight answer on my obligations to pay workman's comp, nor the mechanics for doing so when I might go for months with NO payroll, and then press them into service to do a bunch of work. Total payroll is for sure less than $20,000 per year--so insurers roll their eyes and say I am too small to bother with--meanwhile the clowns at the state office say I MUST have coverage, submit to site inspections etc. etc.--but can't say ANYTHING about costs--and I can face serious fines if I don't comply. How can I manage this craziness?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">