• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Maniko

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Florida. I have been receiving Workman's Compensation benefits for the past 3 1/2 years ( I am on total permanant disability). After a long process, I think I am about to receive my social security disability benefits. It is my understanding that my social security benefits will be offset by my workmans comp benefits. What exactly does this mean. Would I be better off to go ahead and settle before being awarded social security; if I wait to settle afterwards, won't that amount of monies be taken out of my social security benefits. Also, if I am to receive backpay from social security; will those monies go towards paying back the workmans comp payments I received during that time in question. This is all so complicated, could you please try to help me in this matter. Thanks so much. Maniko

BlondiePB

Maniko said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Florida. I have been receiving Workman's Compensation benefits for the past 3 1/2 years ( I am on total permanant disability). After a long process, I think I am about to receive my social security disability benefits. It is my understanding that my social security benefits will be offset by my workmans comp benefits. What exactly does this mean. Would I be better off to go ahead and settle before being awarded social security; if I wait to settle afterwards, won't that amount of monies be taken out of my social security benefits. Also, if I am to receive backpay from social security; will those monies go towards paying back the workmans comp payments I received during that time in question. This is all so complicated, could you please try to help me in this matter. Thanks so much. Maniko
You can receive both TPD and SSD. The two combined will not exceed your AWW or current TPD. Before you make a huge mistake, you need to consult with an attorney. The w/c system underwent some detrimental changes in 2003. You need to know how or if they have affected your claim/case.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">