• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Some advice please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moped

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I am a doorman at a club and was restraining a male who was shoving my self and another employee. I held him against a car and he hit me, along with some of his other friends from behind me. I only witnessed the person I was holding hit me and could not ID any others to the police.

During the process I received a large cut above my eye and some bruising on the side of my head and below my eye. I was wearing my glasses at the time and they were broken in the process. I can still wear them but they are very damaged.

The advice I need is about if I should continue pressing charges, and go for damage or what else I should go for. Also does it even stand a chance to go my way? I am very good at documenting and very professional.

Also, do I need to obtain a lawyer? and if yes, can the fee's be part of the compensation I am seeking.

Thanks a bunch!

pattytx

The DA "presses charges", not you.

If you're looking for civil damages, I think you'd be better off seeing what happens with the assault and battery charges first. You have no witnesses? An attorney is probably not going to take this on contingency; the amount of any civil judgment is not enough for it to be worth his while.

You have filed a work comp report, right?

moped

I have one witness who is another security guard. Several other witness, none of which saw me being hit. I am looking at video tapes tonight to see if they caught anything. doubtful considering the bad quality, and lack of them.

This only happened last night. I am to call the DA Monday morning. I have not filed a work comp because I'm not sure how to. I am on payroll, but not sure if that means I'm covered in any way from the owner.

Thanks again for your help.

pattytx

The employer is required to have Work Comp insurance in your state. Did you report this to the manager on duty at the time?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">