• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statutes of limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nohokeypokey

I was hired to work as Service Clerk 38 hours a week at a grocer chain in Maryland on or about 1/10/98. On 1/30/98 I suffered an accident injury on the job that has left me disabled with chronic crippling lower extremeties pain, diagnosed as herniated disks by my PCP, the lab technician who performed my MRI said he hoped I had a good attorney, L-Sprain/Strain by my employers provider, and Nerve Root injury by my attorneys recommended physician, no x-rays were ever done during this whole painful process, either of which interfers with all aspect's of my life. Including my sex life, which has suffered due to my physical inability to maintain.
I lost my home in foreclosure from the medical and financial hardships that followed, and moved to Tennessee in search of affordable costs of living. 2 weeks after my arrival here I was hospitalized for acute pancreatitis, gall bladder disease, anxiety, and other related ailment's. During the diagnostic testing to determine my medical condition, lab x-rays revealed and confirmed I do have a herniated disks! I was hospitalized again in 10/98 for the aforementioned, and upon my inquiry, I was told that the aforementioned bares no relation to the herniated disks, whatsoever! Meaning the pancreas and gall bladder pain are not physiologically related to the herniated disks pains. Therefor, it cannot be held against me in this wc claim.
I was awarded medical treatment in workers compensation court but, my employer has refused to pay on the basis that their provider has determined no need for medical treatment on the basis that I have achieved maximum medical recovery -meaning, I assume, that I will not improve from medical treatment.
Because I have moved to another state, it has been difficult at best to locate a medical facility to accept this out-of-state claim, until recent. Because of my employers refusal to pay on my award, I have requested a settlement. My attorney claims that I am only entitled to $4,000 due in part to my inability to obtain a permanent injury evaluation, and that being the estimated percent of disability related to my accident injury on the job, and that I must sign a release before I can receive this meager settlement. I have not been able to locate a local physician to obtain a pie, nor has my attorney located one for me in Maryland, that might prove my true percent of disability.
I am dazed and confused! On 1/30/01, it will be 3 years to the date of my accident injury on the job. I have not recieved this 'release' from my attorney to date. Perhaps it is a good thing, because I am NOT comfortable with this offer. It is insulting and unfair. It is not right and or just. I will, no doubt, live with this disability for the rest of my life.
I feel like I'm running out of time and I do not know what to do. My attorney has not replied to my latest e mails, neither has he shown an interests in over a year. If I change attorney's now, will I have to locate another in the state of Maryland, or can I locate from Tennessee to represent me? Or am I just wasting my time and energy, because I was not employed long enough to qualify for much more than this? PLEASE HELP?

[Edited by nohokeypokey on 12-26-2000 at 02:38 PM]

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. WHat I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

My heart goes out to you: but you SHOULD hire a new attorney. There are many out there who take contingent fees. Try either http://www.attorneypages.com or CALL the Maryland State bar association (not tenessee) and ask for lawyer referral.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">