• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time limitations on work related injury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danasb

What is the name of your state? Mi.
In February of 2006 I was injured at work. I was unloading my truck when a box fell and hit me in the back of the head causing a whiplash. The injury happened from poor loading of the trailer which was an everyday issue. I was immediately taken to the clinic. The nurse that took the x-rays started moving my neck and head in several different directions before even knowing the amount of injury. The x-ray showed that nothing was broken and you could see that on the left side of my neck the muscles were swelling. The doctor said it was whiplash. With a little time it would heal. The pain did ease up some but I am still having pain and stiffness in the same area. It is actually worse than immediately after the injury. I am no longer working for the company and I had told them in the past that it was still bothering me. My question is, is it too late to have this checked again under the same case and how do I go about doing this? I did go to a chiropractor for a while while I was still working for them and it seemed to ease it up some but soon after I was finished with the chiropractor most of the stiffness came back. The company didn't send me to the chiropractor, I did this on my own with my health insurance and paid my own co-pays.

seagoing

Hopefully you filed a workers comp case.If not and you did the whole accident under your private ins,it could be a tough case to prove.I would call your state W/C board and talk to someone there.If you do have a W/C case filed,call the adjuster who handled the case.I dont know about your state,but many keep the case open for a yr.unless you settle it.If the adjuster don't help call the W/C board.In a W/C case you should follow what the Law dictates,not go out on your own.

danasb

Hopefully you filed a workers comp case.If not and you did the whole accident under your private ins,it could be a tough case to prove.I would call your state W/C board and talk to someone there.If you do have a W/C case filed,call the adjuster who handled the case.I dont know about your state,but many keep the case open for a yr.unless you settle it.If the adjuster don't help call the W/C board.In a W/C case you should follow what the Law dictates,not go out on your own.
The day the injury took place the company sent me to the clinic. I never received any type of pay but I was only off work less than a week. I think that since they sent me to the clinic there is at least some type of paperwork on file.

seagoing

I would call the job you were injured at and ask if they filed a w/c case for you.often an employer will pay for medical services rather than file w/c.right or wrong I dont know but its done.I believe there are time limits for an injured person to file ,its a state law so most states have different laws.you ca search w/c on google ,theres a few places you can click on your state for its laws.tell your last employer you are still having problems and need to see a dr.ask who the w/c ins.co is and that you call them to find out what dr. w/c wants to send you to.some states require you to go to drs.approved by w/c.that might be a way to ease into whether or not a claim was filed.if no case was filed,and its to late or the employer wont help,find the w/c board and ask them how to proceed,stating you thought a case was filed .if a case was filed,you should have been aware of it,usually booklets and info.are sent by mail to an injured worker.hopefully you told the medical people that the injury was at work and its documented.Thats just a what I would do.many w/c attys. will give you free advice,you might get the yellow pages out and see if one has the time for a couple questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">