• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TX--Unemployment Benefits overpayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TexasworkerNat

I read this post by texasworker https://forum.freeadvice.com/workplace-injuries-worker-s-compensation-32/tx-unemployment-benefits-overpayment-383541.html

I am glad I found the post was afraid TWC would garnish my wages I owe 1,854.00 and making 8.70 trying to support 3 dependents with a 625.00 monthly rent. I had worked for an employer 2 days when I had a unreported injury on my ankle on the 2nd day. I quit working there after 2nd day after a day passed my ankle healed fine. I told TWC it was to hazardous to work there. Their tone during the interview was to laugh at the situation. I had worked 13 hours two 15min breaks 30min lunch had I stayed I would have worked 15 -16 hours. TWC told me I should have negotiated with them to do light work in a warehouse that has no light work. Also from what employees tell me is they are known for putting people on suspension. Thats the story about that but what I most concerned with is paying them back what happens if I don't pay them back, what happens if I don't pay the minimum 130.00 and only pay 10.00?

pattytx

They could, in fact, garnish your wages up to 25% of your disposable income (gross pay less taxes).

If your hours are substantially reduced you could open up a new claim for UI benefits (partial could be possible), but they would take it ALL until the overpayment is repaid.

Some states have a "temporary waiver" you can file and, if approved, they can delay the repayment until you can afford it. Maybe. I don't know, however, if Texas is one of those states. If you ignore the agreement and pay a lesser amount, you'll be worse off than it you contact them and see if you can work out a repayment amount you can afford. Ignoring the situation will only make it worse.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">