• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unable to get anywhere with employer's WC Ins Co.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

irmuzz

What is the name of your state? WV but wk in MD
I'm a nurse(licensed in MD) and work in the home of the patient, a disabled toddler, 2 yrs old. He has a GT and 02. He weighs 32 lbs and is unable to sit, stand or walk. My shift is 10p-8a. During the night of 1-27-04, I herniated a lumbar disc, pressing on the sciatic nerve, placing the pt back into his crib after 4 hours of constant carrying and holding(he had a cold and was abnormally fussy that night.) My husband drove me home, I took OTC medication and tried to sleep. I was scheduled to wk that night, the 28th. I had had a scheduled visit with my medical doctor on the day of the 27th, before the injury, for a routine visit to get my regular prescriptions filled and mentioned that I had been having some lower back pain. I have a history of hern disc, 3 cervical but none lumbar. He did an exam and I was able to perform the reflex tests, lifting my leg, foot, etc. He ordered an a lumbar MRI and a cervical MRI(to check on the progress of the cerv. hern discs.) for the Jan 30th, that week. I went to wk that night(the 27th) and sustained the injury to my back. I contacted the Acency that I work for and told my DON(Dir of Nsg) that I would be unable to wk that night(the 28th).
By Thursday the pain was unbearable and I called the MRI center and they got me in that day, the 29th. The MRI showed a hern disc pressing on the Sciatic nerve. The radiologist called my med doc and he gave me a prescription for Percocet. I called my agency upon returning home and asked if I should make a WC claim and was told yes. I was contacted on Friday by the rep of the WC Ins Co. that the agency has. I saw a nerosurgeon who recommended surgery but is unable to do it until he gets the OK from WC. That was a week after DOI. All I wanted was to have the surgery and recover and return to wk. I have gotten nowhere with this rep for IWIF(the WC ins co.) She doesn't return my calls, has called me twice in 9 wks.I have been unable to wk, drive, or do much of anything for 9 wks....last week, I contacted a lawyer, who sent me papers to fill out and informed me that a claim had never been filed with the WC Commission.
I am so weary and depressed over this entire matter. I have not retained that lawyer yet, I have to sign the papers and send them back to him. What other recourse would I have? Is this SOP for WC? Waiting 9 wks, in pain and unable to leave my house?
I have worked for 30 yrs and never once filed a claim for anything with anyone. I've worked for this agency for 10 yrs.
My other prob is Date of Injury. The first time I filled out a paper asking for it, for the MRI I think, I mistakenly put the 1-27-04, not remembering that at 6a.m. when the injury occured, it was actually the 28th. It was the 27th w/I went to wk but was thinking about the date change.(That happens when you wk nights:) )
What can I do?

F

FrankJM

I would highly recommend that you retain counsel. You have a host of issues to deal with. As you said, you have never filed a claim before, but understand, that IWIF deals with these claims every day. They do not work for you, but work to save their money, that is their job, but it is not necessarily in your best interest.

I

irmuzz

TY for your reply, Frank. It looks like that will be my only recourse. I was hoping that it wouldn't come to that but I don't see that I have much choice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">