• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

union dues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tokyorose

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california
when i came back from workers comp my union informed me i owed 400$ in back dues.... they did it to about 20 people here ( one person owes over 1000$ ) the union told all of us that we should have filled out a withdrawel slip. it's not in the contract, not written down anywhere.. if we don't pay they said our employer will fire us. is this fair since none of us were informed of the withdrawel slip?

justalayman

why should they tell you you have to file a withdrawal? You know you have monthly dues. What makes you believe you would just not have to pay them?

and if your read the bylaws, I suspect you will find the applicable rules to this anyway. If so, you were told.

pattytx

And the reason the employer could legally fire you if you don't pay up is because California is NOT a right-to-work state. So, your argument is with the union (if there is an argument to be made at all), not the employer.

justalayman

And the reason the employer could legally fire you if you don't pay up is because California is NOT a right-to-work state. So, your argument is with the union (if there is an argument to be made at all), not the employer.
in fact, the company doesn't even have a say in this. They are required by law to terminate a person that is not a member of the union.

justalayman

tokyorose

but, if i had filled out a withdrawel slip i wouldn't owe the dues. it's not in my contract book, is that where the by-laws are?
No. the bylaws are a separate set of rules. They are the rules of how the union operates. You would contact your union leadership or union office to obtain those. They should have been given to you upon entrance to the union.

justalayman

so, i should have known because of a book they gave me 34+years ago?
if it is in that book, yes, that was notice. Do you believe they should remind you of any given rule every so often? While it is nice if they do, and I believe they probably should have in this circumstance, the fact is, they were not required to and that is what the law is concerned with.

tokyorose

when i came back 2 months ago, the union started taking dues out of my check, doesn't that mean that i'm a member of good standing?

justalayman

that i still owe it and have to pay or else i'll be terminated

they started taking dues out of your pay because that is what is done. It prevents you from getting any further behind. Now, they are giving you the opportunity to catch up on your delinquent dues and become a member in good standing. If you don't, you are going to be outstanding...out standing by the curb because the company must terminate you if you do not correct the situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">