• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unsafe working conditions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sagegeg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

A few weeks ago while on the job I fell down a flight of stairs. My employer told me to get up and go home. I was unable to move and my coworker had to call one of my family members to assist her in moving me. I eventually had to be taken by ambulance to the hospital.

From the time that I have been hired there have never been any safety meetings of any sort. They also want me to pay for part of my uniform that had been damaged by the injury.

I know in WA you generally cannot sue your employer if you have claim with L&I, but I don't think that they were taking precautions to ensure a safe working environment for myself and my co-workers. It is at all possible to sue them?

pattytx

What exactly was "unsafe" about the stairs?

How do they want you to pay for the damage to your uniform? Paycheck deductions?

commentator

Call and report unsafe working conditions to your state's OSHA. They have one. They will come in and inspect, it probably would never come out who made the complaints. The fact that you don't have safety meetings and you are being asked to pay for your uniform is not a sure sign you have dangerous working conditions. What does make you think they are there?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">