• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unsafe workplace lawsuit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dfr1028a

Maryland

Question about workplace safety: I work at a golf course on a driving range picking up golf balls. The ball picking cart frequently breaks down and the mechanic sometimes takes up to two weeks to make the repairs. In the meantime, the golf professionals, who are the bosses, tell the workers to go pick up balls by hand while up to 10 or 15 people are hitting them so our stash stays high enough. They know that the range is full of players and others practicing! This is EXTREMELY dangerous! Workers often will ask to have the range closed down so that enough balls can be picked safely in order to reopen... however, 90% of the time, the Pro's refuse to close down the range to let the workers replenish the ball supply. There are no places on the driving range where you can safely go to pick up balls and avoid being possibly hit by a ball. The golf course does not provide any protective equipment for the workers as we go out to pick up balls if the cart isn't working. Is there any possibility of a lawsuit here...without having one of the workers getting hit or seriously injured by a flying ball?

There have even been complaints from some golfers hitting balls on the range about the workers being out there while everyone is hitting... yet none of the people in charge seem to care about it. They simply want the range to stay open so they don't upset anyone by closing it...even if it means putting workers at risk.

Any help in letting me know if my fellow workers and I would be able to take the golf course to court and have a good case (before one of us gets hit and seriously injured or killed) would be greatly appreciated.

justalayman

can't sue for "what if's". I know OSHA would deal with this and if your state has a state level OSHA system, they should as well.

so, you have the option of contacting OSHA, refusing to do the gold ball dodge 'em dance and deal with any actions taken against you, or do the wrong thing and go out there and get hurt before anybody can take any action.

swalsh411

Might I suggest a bike helmet on your head and a trash can lid (covering your body) in one hand while you pick up balls in the other.

justalayman

Might I suggest a bike helmet on your head and a trash can lid (covering your body) in one hand while you pick up balls in the other.
and paint a bulls eye on the trash can lid because you know you are going to be used for target practice:D

Personally, I would have a talk with the boss and say something like:

You aren't really dumb enough to think we should go out there with no protection to collect balls while there are customers hacking away, are you? Do you realize what a head injury from a golf ball could do to your workman's comp rates? It would probably be cheaper to buy me an M1A1 tank to use to pick up the balls.

Now, that doesn't mean it would be in your best interest to say anything of the sort but I am a bit outspoken when it comes to protecting my body from projectiles.

Now, another suggestion would be to suggest is is only fair you be provided with one of these so you can return fire:

Golf Ball Launcher Coolest Gadgets

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">