• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Upcoming deposition how should I prepare?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Madamadam

Last year a co-worker made a complaint against me claiming I tried to attack her in front or other co-workers. To make a long story short the claim was investigated thoroughly by HR and deemed unfounded. HR also stated that woman who made the false accusation attend psychiatric counseling. The woman was fired last year for job abandonment. I found out today this woman is suing the institution for unemployment and workers compensation.
My supervisor, another co-worker and I have to meet with lawyers representing the institution. My question is, generally speaking what will be asked of me? If this was an unfounded claim by HR why would they still want to speak with me? Also does this woman have a chance of winning? After her complaint was made her lunch hour was changed, her desk was moved as well as many other changes to help her to feel more comfortable.

NY, NY

W

Willlyjo

Last year a co-worker made a complaint against me claiming I tried to attack her in front or other co-workers. To make a long story short the claim was investigated thoroughly by HR and deemed unfounded. HR also stated that woman who made the false accusation attend psychiatric counseling. The woman was fired last year for job abandonment. I found out today this woman is suing the institution for unemployment and workers compensation.
My supervisor, another co-worker and I have to meet with lawyers representing the institution. My question is, generally speaking what will be asked of me? If this was an unfounded claim by HR why would they still want to speak with me? Also does this woman have a chance of winning? After her complaint was made her lunch hour was changed, her desk was moved as well as many other changes to help her to feel more comfortable.

NY, NY
Basically, they will ask you questions surrounding any contact you had with this co-worker what-so-ever. Since you worked with her, you may be able to tell them something they don't know yet or they may want you to verify something that someone else has told them already, that you may also know.

Don't worry--this isn't about you, its about the co-worker.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Remarkably, I agree with Willy in this case. This is not about you. This is about her. They need to speak with everyone who was involved in the situation that resulted in her termination - that includes you. But she will be the focus of the investigation, not you.

W

Willlyjo

remarkably, i agree with willy in this case. This is not about you. This is about her. They need to speak with everyone who was involved in the situation that resulted in her termination - that includes you. But she will be the focus of the investigation, not you.
:d**************;)

In a deposition almost anything can be asked. I would expect them to ask you if you have ever been convicted of any crimes .... other than that , it should focus on the matter at hand.

You may wish to hire an attny to represent you ... otherwise you'll have no legal representation ... you can object yourself to questions but if you do and there is no basis in law for the refusal to answer then the folks taking your dep may ask a court to order you to answer in another dep & stick you with the bill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">