• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle Damage Compensation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iangcbus

I certainly hope I am putting this in the right forum, if not, please let me know.

I work for a company that provides assisted living for handicapped people. So I work at a house in a residential neighborhood. There is no garage, so I park the car I go to work with in the Driveway. I work graveyard shifts, so I work from 11pm to 8am. When I went out at 8am to drive home, my car wouldn't start, I check the hood and the entire distributor and plug connectors were stolen off my engine head. Called triple A, got myself home safe, filed a police report. The parts alone are going to cost $400 to replace, not counting labor. My work says that it's unfortunate, but all they can do is recommend I call the police and talk to my insurance. I make $8 an hour, they don't provide benefits, and I only have liability insurance. Since this happened while I was at work, and my car was on their property, aren't they responsible for something? Even a little help would be nice. They know I need my car to get to work, but wont help me out.

Just straight up, I don't know much of the legal stuff here, should they be responsible for something and help me out at all? Any advice would be great, thanks.

I live in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You have a great case against your employer, assuming that you can prove they caused the damage...

Beyond that, you will need to talk to your own insurance company and the police.

mlane58

Where in the heck did you price your parts?
Agreed, the parts alone would cost under a $100 unless you have an expensive foriegn make which I highly doubt and labor would only be about another 70-90 dollars as it would only take 10-15 minutes to put these parts back on.

WaltinPA

OP probably called the dealer for the quote. Individual should also consider how to prevent a similar theft in the future before parking there again. The thug has probably seen the car there and let their mind wander ****************************

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">