• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Volunteers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pinkbox

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
If I own a small business and I need some unpaid volunteers to write marketing material ie articles, flyers, coupons, for my company. are there any legal issues that I should be aware of? This would not take in my office. They would submit the material from their homes at their convenience. They only need to have access to the internet to do this. Can hiring unpaid volunteers get me in trouble with labor laws or some other laws? is there a difference between hiring volunteers in the US and abroad?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
FYI Workers Compensation is a form of insurance for employees who are injured or incur an illness on the job. You wanted the Wage and Salary forum.

But I'll answer it here anyway.

You would be in violation of the biggest Federal law regarding wage payments in the US, and the employment laws of every state. I don't know how volunteers are utilized abroad but in the US, if you are a for profit business you CANNOT "employ" volunteers. Ever. Under any circumstances whatsoever. No matter where they work, what they are doing, or what tools they need. It cannot be legally done. At All.

If you are a not-for-profit business then it is not impossible, but it can only be done in very rigidly held to circumstances, and what you are describing would not fit those circumstances.

You'd better be prepared to come up with at least minimum wage or you'll be in serious trouble.

swalsh411

Golly gee it's the exact same answer you got in the other thread on the same topic! :D Do you still think it's not illegal? :rolleyes:

eerelations

I don't understand why the OP thinks the law changes from thread to thread, forum to forum, and site to site. His understanding of how the law works is really quite minimal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">