• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wage change 7 months after hire to a different rate from offer letter.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

schinery

I am currently working in New York City with 1199 union status

A co-worker and I both had our wages cut to a lower salary as a result of another coworker complaining that he wasn't making as much as we were. Both of our offer letters said amount A and that's what we were being paid. Without our knowledge both of us were cut down to amount B which is lower than our offer letters and both the union and HR said this is reasonable. They also retro took back pay from us but upon complaining reissued it stating they erred so they're taking the hit for it.

Is there something illegal about them changing our wages as such?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am currently working in New York City with 1199 union status

A co-worker and I both had our wages cut to a lower salary as a result of another coworker complaining that he wasn't making as much as we were. Both of our offer letters said amount A and that's what we were being paid. Without our knowledge both of us were cut down to amount B which is lower than our offer letters and both the union and HR said this is reasonable. They also retro took back pay from us but upon complaining reissued it stating they erred so they're taking the hit for it.

Is there something illegal about them changing our wages as such?
It sure doesn't sound like it's illegal to me. Your union seems to agree.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As long as it doesn't violate the union contract, which it doesn't appear to, and doesn't drop you below minimum wage, nothing illegal at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">