• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to hire an independent contractor for roof cleaning but...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cluelesslndlrd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I want to hire someone for a very simple and very low risk roof cleaning at my property as I got a nasty-gram from the insurance agency,saying the few strands of pine needles on my roof is a hazard. My house is one story and have a relatively flat roof, starting at about 12 ft at the edges and reaching may be 16-17 ft at the highest point. If I didn't have a sprained ankle, I would climb up myself and do it but it is not an option at the moment and this needs to be taken care of real quick.

I talked to a guy online, on local craigslist and he says he can take a blower to the top as long as I provide electricity, and blow every piece of debris off, which is what I want. His price is reasonable and he says he is insured. What do I need to ask him about his insurance, before hiring him to do the job ? I just don't want to get sued, if he turns out to be the clumsiest guy on earth and falls off the roof and injures himself. I want his insurance to cover his potential injuries as well as any damage he could do to my roof.

Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I want to hire someone for a very simple and very low risk roof cleaning at my property as I got a nasty-gram from the insurance agency,saying the few strands of pine needles on my roof is a hazard. My house is one story and have a relatively flat roof, starting at about 12 ft at the edges and reaching may be 16-17 ft at the highest point. If I didn't have a sprained ankle, I would climb up myself and do it but it is not an option at the moment and this needs to be taken care of real quick.

I talked to a guy online, on local craigslist and he says he can take a blower to the top as long as I provide electricity, and blow every piece of debris off, which is what I want. His price is reasonable and he says he is insured. What do I need to ask him about his insurance, before hiring him to do the job ? I just don't want to get sued, if he turns out to be the clumsiest guy on earth and falls off the roof and injures himself. I want his insurance to cover his potential injuries as well as any damage he could do to my roof.

Thanks
Whether or not he has insurance, you can be sued...you need to make sure that YOU have insurance.

cluelesslndlrd

Of course, having a mortgage, no insurance is not an option but I really do not want to file a claim against it in my first few month's of ownership of this property. Is there any way to preven getting sued ? And if I get sued, what would be the grounds for that ? I mean if the guy falls and cracks a bone, because of being negligent, can he sue me ?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Of course, having a mortgage, no insurance is not an option but I really do not want to file a claim against it in my first few month's of ownership of this property. Is there any way to preven getting sued ? And if I get sued, what would be the grounds for that ? I mean if the guy falls and cracks a bone, because of being negligent, can he sue me ?
There's no 100% way to prevent being sued...but you can take actions to minimize the chances. The best one would be to hire a reputable company and not a guy from craigslist.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">