• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

WC and "wage reduction"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? NC

A friend of my wifes is on workmans comp for a back injury. She is continuing to work at the hospital as a records clerk. Can her supervisor reduce her "benefits" from WC to the pay level of the job she is doing?

D8D

Beth3

What benefits are you referring to? If she's working, she's not eligible for TTD (temporary total disability benefits) unless the employer reduces her pay for the light duty job she's presumably assigned to below the level of TTD benefits required by the State, in which case he or she may be eligible for a partial benefit.

Hmmmm? Something fishy may be going on, or I don't have the whole story. She apparently is "working" to help out in records since she can't do her normal duties as an X Ray tech. Her boss, in the X Ray department, is trying to have her wage cut to that of the file clerk even though she is on disability from an injury that occured while on duty as an X Ray tech.

Not sure if that makes sense or not. Could you spell it out for me how WC works when your injured on the job but can perform other job functions at your place of work?

Thanks

D8D

Beth3

Since WC is State-specific I can only speak in general terms but reducing her wage rate to the level appropriate for the job she's assigned to is not illegal. If her wage rate is reduced below a certain level relative to her prior rate of pay, then the WC carrier very likely has to make partial TTD payments. For that reason, many employers choose to leave the pay rate of the person temporarily assigned to a lighter duty job the same but they don't have to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">