• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

on welfare while waiting for worker's comp decision - will I have to pay back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Freddie1234

What is the name of your state? New York

I was on welfare for eight months while waiting for my worker's comp hearing. I recently received my claim benefits including all back arrears owed to me. I want to know if welfare will make me pay back to them the money they gave me.

I will be getting $200 a week from now on from WC (and of course, will no longer collect welfare).

Beth3

I can't tell you for certain but it seems only logical to assume that the State of NY will be looking for reimbursement of their welfare monies now that you have received compensation for those months.

My suggestion is that you contact the welfare division and inquire. Yes, you will be "tipping your hand" that you received the WC indemnity payments but better you get the issue out on the table and work out a repayment plan (if that proves to be the case) than to have them find out months down the road and decide to pursue you for welfare fraud for failing to report the WC payment. Then you'll wish you had contacted them back-when and worked something out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">