• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my rights when it comes to wrongful termination in Florida?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beiley

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I was terminated yesterday from my job, I feel it was unjust because it was due to a "no call , no show" but I attempted to call the store multiple times that day to get the schedule and got the busy signal each time. The general manager who terminated me has been looking for a reason to terminate me because I have tried to reach out multiple times to our industries that she is treating me and others unfairly. Today I went through the drive in and I saw that my name was still being used on a register the day after I was terminated! What can I do about this, and do I have any rights as a worker? Please advise

eerelations

Unless you have a contract that specifically states otherwise, you are an at-will employee. "At-will" means that you may be fired for any reason or no reason, except for those reasons prohibited by law. Reasons prohibited by law include things like your race, gender, religion, age and/or disability etc. Nothing in your post indicates you were fired for a reason like this. Ergo, your termination was legal. (Unfortunate maybe, but still legal.)

You have the right to file for unemployment insurance benefits.

(Note, there are also no laws prohibiting your former employer from continuing to use your name on a register after you've been terminated.)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A wrongful termination means that in firing you, the employer violated a specific law. No law was violated by your termination as you have currently described it. So while it may have been unjust, based on the facts you've provided it was not a wrongful term.

Can you provide some details about the "unfair" treatment you had complained about? It might or might not make a difference.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">