• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the time allowed to file claim after injury?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? NY

Im going through a support modification trial with my daughters father he wants support lowered. In Dec He quit his job because of not getting along with boss, no time for his wife and her kids, and his knee injury. My question is to do with workmans comp not support laws.

My daughters father says he was injured on the job in mid Sept 2005. He did not file a claim, he has no papers and no claim number. He says he thought the employer was the one to file it. Previous court date He said though that his surgery was approved by workmans comp, how is that possible if he has no claim number or case? Would workmans comp approve a surgery if there was no claim?

Also he was told by our local support magistrate to look for a workmans comp lawyer and try filing a claim now. I thought there was a certain time frame you have to claim the injury He didnt miss any time, his boss allowed him to work in office off the injury. He did mention the bills are being sent in his name and then he sends them to the previous employer and then they are sent back to him and now being sent to collections cause they arent being paid. He is supposed to have the claim number and paperwork sent to my lawyer and the magistrate 20 days before the court date which is at the end of April.

If he files a claim now can the employer fight it? What are the chances of him being able to filea claim for an injury that happened 5 months ago? There may be things that he is saying that may not be truthful. My lawyer still has yet to get boss' side of the story.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">