• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

when can a part-timer quit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

miirai

What is the name of your state? Caifornia

Hi, I have been hired by a restaurant as a part-timer for 5 weeks already.
Due to stress of school and family, I have ask my employer if i can quit, or give him my 2 weeks notice. But he told me that I have to work for five months in order to request for dismissal.

Is there such law or rule for that? I have never signed any contract with my employer, and I have read in some other website that in Florida when there's no contract between employee and employer the employee can dismiss himself without any notice. And even employees with contract can request their 2 weeks notice of dismissal before the contract expire and dismiss himself after that 2 weeks with or without his employee's consent.

Now as a part-timer in California, that does not have a contract with his employeer, can I quit the job anytime?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Slavery was outlawed in this country well over a century ago. Doesn't matter what state you are in or whether you are full or part time; unless you have a contract of employment that specifies a term of employment, you can quit any time you like. (And even if you do have a contract, you can still quit if you are willing to deal with whatever consequences the contract spells out for a breach.)

Now, if you give two weeks notice and he tells you to leave at once, he does NOT have to pay you for the two weeks. But there is no law in ANY state that says you cannot quit until you have worked for five months. That's ludicrous.

Beth3

But he told me that I have to work for five months in order to request for dismissal. Your boss is either nuts or he's trying to put one over on you. Yes, you can quit this job anytime you like. Period. What your boss is saying is totally ridiculous.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">