• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

why should i be penalized for being hurt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jdumont922

What is the name of your state?I am a 25 yr old male from Maine. I never thought i would be in this position before. but i was hit in the head with a roof truss at work. At this time i was brought to the office. my boss told me my "pride" was more injured then my neck was.

I worked in pain for around 8 months. Thinking it would just get better.
It end up getting alot worse. The boss told me i had a attitude problem. and i needed to get help. I knew the source of my anger was the pain. I went to my doctor and found out via MRI i have a vertebrate in my neck that is 2/3rds full of blood.

I was sent to a nero surgeon. Put on physical therapy to help with the pain.
after 10 sessions of therapy and my level of pain is the same as before P/T my Doctor wants me to be seen by a new nero-surgeon. the date of my appointment is the 15 of this month. about 2 and a half weeks away. I was told by my Boss today i was not allowed to come back to work unless i have a Docters note stating im able to work. I can not miss out on that kind of pay.

When asking the boss to help me with light duty work untill i can get back to 100% he informed me he didnt have to do anything for me and im lucky i get any help from the forman. and if i am unable to do this kind of work anymore. "then why are you here?" is what i get.

when i asked him if i was going to need a lawyer. he finaly sat down to talk about workmans comp. but i am missing out on alot of pay. and im still unable to do things i enjoy or that need to be done. like yard work an so on with out being in pain. I think i am way to young to feel like this. and i feel like i am being penalized for being hurt on the job.

I called my place of work today to try and set up workmans comp. and it seems to be like pulling teeth. i need the ball to get rolling for me so i can get on with life. but everyware i turn it seems its my fault for being injured on the job and i will be financly penalized for it. where do i turn? and thank you to anyone who took the time to read this post.

Beth3

Ditto. If the company is dragging their feet filing a WC claim for you, and consequently benefits (such as temporary total disability pay) are delayed, then I suggest you see an attorney asap.

FYI - the company doesn't have to provide light duty work for you, although it would be in their best interests to do so if possible for several reasons, including saving them money on their WC insurance premiums.

J

jdumont922

thanks

they wont even let me back to work now till i get a doctors note.. but i have talked with a WC attorney this morning too.. i just want to be able to work.. and live.. going through all this is killing me. =\ so i guess i have to wait till they call me back to find out whats going on? they got some info from me this morning about how i got hurt.

missing out on all this pay is going to put me in a financl pit..

Beth3

they wont even let me back to work now till i get a doctors note You experienced a serious injury. OF COURSE they're not going to allow you to return to work until you bring them a note from your doctor stating you are medically released to work, which also includes any medical restrictions you have. Requiring injured employees to bring a note in from their doctor before returning to work is absolutely commonplace and an extremely sound practice as well.

J

jdumont922

right. but i guess im just worried that im not bringing home any money to support my wife and me. all i realy want to do it work. im going to try and get on top of things again today.

Beth3

I understand. What still isn't clear though is whether your employer has filed a WC claim for you with their carrier although I'm guessing they have. What you need to do then is contact your employer's WC carrier and ask to speak to the claims analyst who is handling your claim and when temporary total disability (TTD) benefits will begin to be paid to you.

If you run into any problems, then by all means see a WC attorney asap.

J

jdumont922

well i talked with WC they took some info.. i talked with my boss and he said i could file if i needed too.. so from what she told me they are going to get all my medical records and see if im able to be on WC. thanks for trying to help me.. there is just alot going on in my head.. and i worry alot about not having money to pay the bills and feed me and my wife..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">