• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will I lose medical coverage if I move?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lgfd46

I am in Oklahoma.

I was in an accident over 2 months ago, and worker's comp has covered all of my medical expenses, including surgery on my arm, which was badly damaged. I still require follow-ups and treatment on the arm, which is not expected to be fully healed for at least another 3 months. In the meantime, if I have the opportunity to move to another state, and I do so, will I be able to transfer medical coverage to another doctor, or do I forfeit my right to benefits if I leave my current employer/state? Thanks for any info.

Beth3

No, you won't forfeit the WC carrier being responsible for treatement of your medical injuries but you should definitely speak with the WC insurance rep who is handling your claim about the particulars before you move. Many WC insurers have "behind the scenes" discounted networks with medical providers and there may be specific providers they may refer you to. Additionally, being up front with the WC carrier as to your personal situation will ensure your claim continues to go smoothly.

L

lgfd46

Thank you so much. I have contacted the claim rep, and she says that we do have options here. The only problem might be whether or not a doctor in another state will agree to/will file for the Okla WC benefits (not all do). Thanks again :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">