• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

will my kids be taken care of

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mzdenden

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana my fiance was injured at work his mother is handling the law suit, we have three young children will my kids get anything from the settlement????

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana my fiance was injured at work his mother is handling the law suit, we have three young children will my kids get anything from the settlement????
Why should your children benefit from his law suit. Your boyfriend will benefit. He can do with the funds as he pleases (or as it seems his mom will if he allows her).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No need to start another thread:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/elder-law-powers-attorney-living-wills-advance-health-care-directives-115/fiances-mother-wants-control-567143.html

Silverplum

Another thread is here:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/elder-law-powers-attorney-living-wills-advance-health-care-directives-115/fiances-mother-wants-control-567143.html

Answer to the bolded question above: I don't know.

Why don't you trust your fiance to take care of his children? (Are all of the children his?)

You're not his wife. Period. His mother is his next of kin. If you and he wanted it to be otherwise, you and he would be married.

Mzdenden

It's not him I'm worried about..It's his money hungry ass mom, I no He will take care of his kids like he always do..but she might mess him over as well..god forbid somethin happen to him and he actually have a 19yr old daughter...

Silverplum

It's not him I'm worried about..It's his money hungry ass mom, I no He will take care of his kids like he always do..but she might mess him over as well..god forbid somethin happen to him and he actually have a 19yr old daughter...
Okey-dokey.

commentator

If he was injured at work he will be paid a finite amount of money based on the degree of injury that will be determined when he is declared able to return to work, or when he has reached the maximum medical improvement he is expected to reach. It will not, except in very special circumstances, be a whole whole lot of money. We're not taking about millions of dollars here.

If you're not receiving support for these children, then you need to take care of that. Money hungry mom will not be able to decide whether or not her son pays child support to support his children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">