• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

work comp claim future jobs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

g79

What is the name of your state? New York

I am currently out of work on worker's comp due to carpal tunnel surgery. After the surgery/recovery is complete i'm scheduled to go back to work. I do computer work 8 hours a day.

My question is how does a worker's comp claim work if i switch jobs? For instance assuming i'm better and go back to work with no serious issues, and then quit my current job and get a new one (perhaps even in another state, probably MA). By that point i may need continuing physical therapy but probably no time off/surgeries (i hope). Is the claim coverage tied to a current employer? Would i lose my claim coverage and have it get moved to the next companies insurance provider? I'm really not sure how this works and i'm scared to ask the claim's adjuster a questoin like this (although we are currently on pretty good terms, he's a nice guy (probably rare to hear on these boards i'm sure) :)

Thanks for any help. I'm really scared i'm stuck at one job because of my injury, or would have to cause an uproar at any new job because of the injury. Also any advice from anyone woud be nice.

Thanks again.

Beth3

Is the claim coverage tied to a current employer? Liability for the claim is tied to the employer where the injury occurred.

Would i lose my claim coverage and have it get moved to the next companies insurance provider? No! Your future employer had nothing to do with your injury therefore they have no liability. Any costs associated with your injury remain with your present employer even if you leave the job or are terminated.

G

g79

Thanks for the quick response. I thought that was how it worked but i wasn't sure. I wasn't sure if carpal tunnel was a special case.

Another thing i was wondering about is how does a RSI work if say it redevelops years (or months) down the road and you've moved to a new job. For instance say i go two years pain free but then have symptoms come back (i'm told that can happen). Would you reopen the old case? Would it require a new comp claim? Not sure.

Thanks again for your quick help.

Beth3

When you reach "maximum medical improvement" on your present medical condition, you will be provided with a permanent partial disability settlement if you are left with any lasting impairment as a result of your carpal tunnel. I'm not saying you WILL receive a PPD settlement, just that it's possible but it depends on your medical status at that time. That is also intended to compensate you for any future medical problems.

Your claim will then be closed. Period.

It's my understanding that once one has carpel tunnel - and even has surgery to correct the problem - one is more prone to developing it again.
Even if that happens, you cannot re-open the former WC claim. Whether you can file a WC claim with a new employer is unknown as causation and liability will have to be newly determned.

G

g79

thanks again

Thanks again for your help. You're very informative. In terms of worker's comp if in the future it came back, and they determined i couldn't open a worker's comp claim, would it then fall back to whatever regular insurance i have at the time? I was wondering if you could be put in a situation where niether company will cover treatment. Is this type of thing unusual if you're doubly insured (worker's comp + a good regular health insurance).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you submit a claim to your regular insurance company and indicate that it is work related, they will deny the claim. However, if the workers comp policy ALSO denies it, you can send a copy of the denial letter to the regular insurance and they will pay the claim.

I've seen this happen any number of times. I've been managing group health insurance plans for almost 25 years and I have NEVER seen a claim that both carriers denied where both denials held. Eventually, one of them ALWAYS gave in and paid it. Without exception. Ever.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">