• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Work comp suit versus a civil suit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

round 1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca

Can a work comp suit settlement affect a civil suit against the same employer? The work comp settlement doesnt state that a civil suit cannot be filed
But the attorney of the civil says to not sign the work comp suit because it didn't state that a civil suit can still be filed.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Then I'll be very surprised if you can file suit against the employer at all. Workers comp is generally your SOLE remedy for injury.

Or are you saying that you are filing a complaint of discrimination through the EEOC?

round 1

Then I'll be very surprised if you can file suit against the employer at all. Workers comp is generally your SOLE remedy for injury.

Or are you saying that you are filing a complaint of discrimination through the EEOC?
The work comp suit was filed..then I sought counsel for the discrimination..already got the right to sue letter n the civil is already in discovery but no court date as of yet. The insurance wants to settle but r still denying anything..its a go away amount which I'm more than happy to sign but my civil is saying no cause there is no clause stating I can't have a civil as well. But it doesn't state that I can't

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Gotcha. That's a different situation.

But since I can't read your documents, I would have to go by what your lawyer is telling you. He can see everything that's in them. I can't.

W

Willlyjo

The work comp suit was filed..then I sought counsel for the discrimination..already got the right to sue letter n the civil is already in discovery but no court date as of yet. The insurance wants to settle but r still denying anything..its a go away amount which I'm more than happy to sign but my civil is saying no cause there is no clause stating I can't have a civil as well. But it doesn't state that I can't
You can actually have a civil suit as well as a Workers Compensation claim at the same time. What you settle for in one claim has no bearing on the other.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">