• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Work exacerbates existing condition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TSDN

New York

I have an autoimmune disorder that causes inflammation and rheumatoid arthritis. Lately, it has been attacking my arms (hands and elbows mostly), which has made them hurt a lot when writing or typing. My job requires a lot of both, and doing my job is seriously exacerbating my symptoms.

Since this is not a workplace injury, but a condition that is only made much worse by working, what are my rights? What accommodations can I expect or ask my employer to make for me? Esp considering that the more I work, the closer I get towards being disabled, even though I can do all the other parts of my job and really want to keep doing it. For instance, can I ask that they install a word recognition program on my computer? I don't particularly WANT to use it, but I don't have a choice. I know that upper level managers have and use it. If I get a doctor's note, does that have any weight?

Thanks for any advice on how to approach this. Even typing this message is killing me.

swalsh411

Nobody here can tell you for sure whether that sort of program is a reasonable accommodation because we do not know the ins and outs of your job. For example, if you sit in a room full of people, you talking to your computer may be distracting enough that they cannot perform their job. However, there might be a place your employer can move you to minimize this. We simply don't know. What you need to do is meet with your doctor and decide what sort of accommodations or restrictions on activity you need, have this documented, and then present it to your employer. Your employer does not have to "guess" what you need. You need to be very specific and tell them.

TSDN

I am a English teacher and the department chair. I generate many documents a week an had to grade around 100 pages every several weeks. I can do the other parts of my job just fine, but the writing is taking a heavy toll. My principal and associate principal both use Dragon Naturally Speaking, provided by the district, and they have no disability. My doctor said he will write a note. Does this have any enforceability? My principal seemed to think the district would not want to spend the money. I really don't even WANT to use it, but I need to rest my hands so the inflammation goes down.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">