• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Work-related Stress

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fighting Camel

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I was diagnosed with work-related acute stress disorder in May, 2005 and taken out of work. This was the opinion of both my family doctor and psychologist. I used up all my leave time (10 months) and placed on short term disability. I'm awaiting my approval for long-term disability.

Now I'm being told I should have filed this under Workers' Comp. Is that true and is it too late to do so now?

seniorjudge

Fighting Camel said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I was diagnosed with work-related acute stress disorder in May, 2005 and taken out of work. This was the opinion of both my family doctor and psychologist. I used up all my leave time (10 months) and placed on short term disability. I'm awaiting my approval for long-term disability.

Now I'm being told I should have filed this under Workers' Comp. Is that true and is it too late to do so now?
Work comp is for injuries on the job; you wanted disability which is something completely different.

xylene

Fighting Camel said:
Who are you being told this by?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can try, but the chances of the workers comp carrier accepting a claim of work related stress range between slim and none.

I've seen it covered under Workers Comp believe it or not, but the diagnosis was post traumatic stress disorder due to a violent crime at work. I don't think that stress due to work in general would ordinarily be covered. I suppose you could try though.

janimal

I have seen many, many, many employees at my old company attempt to get Workers Compensation for stress.

Haven't seen one be successful.

Good luck with your attempt - but don't get "stressed" if it doesn't happen....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">