• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Work told me not to fill out comp papers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fivebyfive55

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
Hello,
I work for a major retailer and was injured and required a visit to the hospital and stitches. My employer told me not to file comp that they would just cut a check for all my bills. 3 months later I am getting late notices in the mail. If they continue to refuse to pay the bill as they said they would do I have any legal recourse or did I really make the mistake by trusting them in the beginning? I've worked for this company for 5 years and have respectful relationships with the management team so its hard to believe that any of this was done maliciously, but any time I bring it up they say they will take care of it and now I'm getting these late notices.
Thank you for you time and any advice

W

Willlyjo

Hello,
I work for a major retailer and was injured and required a visit to the hospital and stitches. My employer told me not to file comp that they would just cut a check for all my bills. 3 months later I am getting late notices in the mail. If they continue to refuse to pay the bill as they said they would do I have any legal recourse or did I really make the mistake by trusting them in the beginning? I've worked for this company for 5 years and have respectful relationships with the management team so its hard to believe that any of this was done maliciously, but any time I bring it up they say they will take care of it and now I'm getting these late notices.
You should simply take the late notices to your employer and remind them that they indicated they would pay all the bills concerning your injury.

pattytx

No, he should file the Work Comp claim himself. There are other issues besides just the current medical costs.

Sorry 'bout that, that was the link for my prior response. :eek: Thanks, flyingron.

W

Willlyjo

No, he should file the Work Comp claim himself. There are other issues besides just the current medical costs.

Sorry 'bout that, that was the link for my prior response. :eek: Thanks, flyingron.
Agreed! There are other issues besides the medical bills, but why should that preclude the OP from first taking the late notices to his employer for possible immediate results?

Op...1. Take your late notices to the employer and remind them they agreed to pay all of your medical bills concerning your work-related injury.

2. File a Workers Comp claim since, as Pattyx says, there are other issues besides your medical bills.

Hello,
The company can go out of business at any time too...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">