• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

workers comp claim questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kulpms

What is the name of your state? Virginia
I have an employee that aggrivated a pre-existing condition this week and im unsure how to proceed with workers comp. A little background... the original injury was sustained in an accident, which crushed his arm/elbow. it was rebuilt with pins/plates, etc. many years ago. between then and his hiring date, it had sustained signifigant damage or wear, to the point where he can bend his elbow in very un-natural (and disturbing) ways. this week, a walk behind piece of equipment jerked to a start, and further aggrivated the arm. He's thinking it broke the last of whatever was holding the two bones together.

Obviously, the final injury happened at work, and i'd like to help him in any way i can, he's a freind and good employee, but i don't currently have the means to provide assistance, nor does he, and i'm afraid he's going to rack up some expense in exploring the problem, then comp will deny his claim because of the pre-existing condition and previous malfunction of the parts.

we've been fortunate not to have previous claims, so i'm unfamilar with the system. am i correct in assuming that if he's denied, he is responsible for the expense? or am I? i've paid out of pocket for minor problems rather than submitting a claim. my understanding is that once a claim is submitted, there's no going back right?

any advice would be appreciated. thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">