• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Workers Comp Wants To Settle..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

john32671

Im from the state of PA. I was injured back in 2003, suffered a back injury at work, had multible back operations that they replaced 2 lumbar disc's in my spine with artifical disc's. I was on workers comp from 2003 to 2008. I returned to work in late 2008 as my doctor gave me clearance to return to work in a very light work enviroment. So i accepted a job as a outside road salesman. From 2008 to current i always have my back checked every 6 months by my doctors, as thats how they wanted to see me to monitor my back condition. Over the last couple of months my back is starting to give me problems again, The doctors stated its normal for your type of injuries you had. They stated you back is good no signs of wearing out, but your nerve damage that occured with the injury is the problems. The nerve damage was so servere that they didnt heal like they hoped for.So what your are like now is your maxium recovery. You have a 10% nerve loss in your from your spine to your legs and feet. As you get older it will get worse, but the job your doing now will not speed that process up, as your in a light duty position. So about 2 weeks after my doctors visit, workers comp sent me a letter stating that they want to resolve my claim. I never hired a lawyer as i didnt have to workers comp never gave me a problem. If i decide to look at a settlement option, how would i go about figuring that out?..as i'm currently working, but in 5 yrs or so i might not be able to work if my condition get worse. Is there any type of formula i can use to figure this out? Thanks

W

Willlyjo

Im from the state of PA. I was injured back in 2003, suffered a back injury at work, had multible back operations that they replaced 2 lumbar disc's in my spine with artifical disc's. I was on workers comp from 2003 to 2008. I returned to work in late 2008 as my doctor gave me clearance to return to work in a very light work enviroment. So i accepted a job as a outside road salesman. From 2008 to current i always have my back checked every 6 months by my doctors, as thats how they wanted to see me to monitor my back condition. Over the last couple of months my back is starting to give me problems again, The doctors stated its normal for your type of injuries you had. They stated you back is good no signs of wearing out, but your nerve damage that occured with the injury is the problems. The nerve damage was so servere that they didnt heal like they hoped for.So what your are like now is your maxium recovery. You have a 10% nerve loss in your from your spine to your legs and feet. As you get older it will get worse, but the job your doing now will not speed that process up, as your in a light duty position. So about 2 weeks after my doctors visit, workers comp sent me a letter stating that they want to resolve my claim. I never hired a lawyer as i didnt have to workers comp never gave me a problem. If i decide to look at a settlement option, how would i go about figuring that out?..as i'm currently working, but in 5 yrs or so i might not be able to work if my condition get worse. Is there any type of formula i can use to figure this out? Thanks
off the top of my head (because I didn't research PA Workers Comp. Law) I'd say that you have the right to receive Future Medical Benefits due to your work-related injury! There is a process in which your permanent disability is rated and that is how the amount of PD benefits is calculated!

In settling this matter, you should have any doctor reports rated and then research the logistics of such calculations in order for you to proficiently negotiate an agreed amount that you will receive for your Permanent Disability payments only.

Future Medical should be agreed upon unless you would rather Compromise and Release which would give you a lump sum payment and relieve the Insurance Carrier of any further liability! Such lump sum payment would NOT be enough to take care of your back problems should your condition flare up from time to time and even need surgery in the future, so I would strongly suggest you not consider Compromise and Release!

If you have any issues dealing with the settling of your claim, you should definitely consult with a lawyer who could assist you in the matter.

Good luck to you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">