• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Workers Compensatin Discrimination Case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Staten.Islander

I'm in New York, and if I don't get an answer soon I'm going to be in a situation that I've fought for over two years to stay out of.

After an injury I filed a Worker's Compensation claim against my employer's wishes, and it was subsequently disputed, but I won. My employer who initially refused to let me return to work then progressively lowered my pay and hours until finally I was given no work at all.

So I filed a Worker's Compensation Discrimination claim, which was ignored by my employer who was not present at the hearings on this matter. This was also decided in my favor.

The decision stated that I am to submit damages, but there are many unanswered questions concerning what I should do next and when I inquired about them I was advised to get an attorney.

But now I've just received a letter from my employer's attorney who is claiming that my employer ignored the WCB discrimination hearings because they thought it concerned my original Worker's Compensation case. ?!? (That would be false anyway, because I received a letter from my employer's attorney regarding the Worker's Compensation Discrimination case just before the preliminary hearing).

There were several other false statements, but to to get back to my problem. This process which was initiated by me in February has been very slow and as a result I am now in dire financial straits, going on two months behind in rent and on my last pair of sneakers. I've been an armed security guard since the 80's and I've been been having a difficult time getting employment I suspect due to being "blackballed" over all this. (The standard job application questions inquire about unemployed status and "reason for leaving", as well as previous employment references).

Basically if I end up homeless my life is over.

I of course cannot afford an attorney and would appreciate any advice I can get.

Thanks.

Staten Islander

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">