• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Working at a place that allows tobacco?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tracy_M

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hello! I've been working at a hookah bar for about 2 years. The city that the business is in does not allow smoking tobacco in bars and restaurants. I had thought until this point that what was sold in the hookahs was something other than tobacco. That is not true! It is tobacco with fruit flavors. When the inventory for the hookahs comes in, this bar moves it to plastic bins and throws away the boxes that clearly indicate the tobacco content. I just learned that the times the city has come in to inquire, they are shown a different but similar product with no tobacco and since the inventory is in plastic bins, they are none the wiser.

What is my best course of action? I've been working in a cloud of thick tobacco smoke 5 times a week for over two years!

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hello! I've been working at a hookah bar for about 2 years. The city that the business is in does not allow smoking tobacco in bars and restaurants. I had thought until this point that what was sold in the hookahs was something other than tobacco. That is not true! It is tobacco with fruit flavors. When the inventory for the hookahs comes in, this bar moves it to plastic bins and throws away the boxes that clearly indicate the tobacco content. I just learned that the times the city has come in to inquire, they are shown a different but similar product with no tobacco and since the inventory is in plastic bins, they are none the wiser.

What is my best course of action? I've been working in a cloud of thick tobacco smoke 5 times a week for over two years!
Quit your job**************.

Tracy_M

What, pray tell, did you think they were smoking that WASN'T a health hazard?
Clearly not for me to decide. Or maybe the same thing the city inspector believed when he comes for inspection. That everything inhaled included your everyday smogified air is toxic isn't the point. Employer is breaking the law.

What, pray tell, do you think you consume that isn't toxic? Maybe google first time carcinogen. This is a legal not medical advice forum. Thanks for the comment.

Tracy_M

And...for future reference, don't work in places where people are smoking anything if your concerned for your health. There's really no "safe" smoke to inhale.
Not concerned with health as much a legal rights concerning a toxic substance inhaled through employer's circumvention of law. Again this is a legal advice forum. I obviously stumbled on the retarded one.

justalayman

Not concerned with health as much a legal rights concerning a toxic substance inhaled through employer's circumvention of law. Again this is a legal advice forum. I obviously stumbled on the retarded one.

You can do whatever you want; report it to the city inspector, state inspector, attorney general of the US if you want but the bigger question is; what is the purpose? Do you turn yourself in when you go 3 mph over the speed limit?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">