• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

workmans comp

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dragonsr

workmans comp post ???

I had serious knee/leg injury in 1980 and again 1981 at my former employers factory(Yellow Giant). Resulting in 11 knee surgeries and one back surgery to use for a bone craf.
It took nearly 10 years to reach a settlement with them. My Workmans Comp. was stopped in Mid 1983 after Mayo Clinic issued a multiple work restrictions and sent me home, to get my knee/leg stronger for more upcoming surgery. Needless to say, the company laid me off work, stopping my workmans comp & medical. Said I was a dual status person, whatever that meant. My attorney said he couldn't do anything about it and My UAW Union wouldn't intervien either. I filed a Soc.Sec.Disability claim and received it. (I'm still on it today.) But over the years of meetings with the company, they continued denial of permanent disability. Even though the government did. Eventually, in 1990 came to terms, a cash settlement, life medical on my knee (not my back where they did surgery, said it wasn't related to the injuries) and 85-90% loss of use to my Rt.knee/leg................being in the situation then, and having nothing. The big company had me over a barrel, I settled. The cash reward wasn't much considering what I had lost alreay, and after attorney fees, I had to re-imburse Soc.Sec. for what they paid me. So wasn't much reward left to be had. I've been told that with Disability Act laws now in force, that they should of offered me a job where I could work with my disability. Especially since they were forced to sit up a department where they have people with disabilities now working. I've tried talking with the local UAW union, but don't get a response from them. And my attorney who handled it, said he didn't know. But, I've talked to others from the company, that said, with the Disability ACT laws, they're were allowed back and received back pay/seniority/medical and are working in that department. Even though they were laid off for several years. Said they fought it through American Disability Act.But I don't know where to contact for that resource. Any help,advice, is greatly appreciated. There is a more detailed history, too much to print with this company and they're handling with me. I'm Illinois by the way! Thanks

[Edited by dragonsr on 06-19-2001 at 11:11 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">