• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Workman's comp in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA

Do I need workman's comp for this? I did some remodeling work on my neighbor's rental property this year. I signed an Independent Contractor agreement and I believe I qualify as such under IRS guidelines. The work consisted of many small 1 or 2 day jobs such as removing wallpaper and texturing walls. Each job paid less than $400.

My total income was $9,200. My neighbor gave me a W-9 which I completed and she'll issue a 1099 at the end of the year. She just got her WC Insurance Payroll Report form from the state and on the bottom it states:

"I (we) certify that the above reported payroll accurately reflects the total wages, salaries, and other compensation paid to all employees (including unlicensed contractors or contractors without W.C. coverage) during the period covered."

We called the state and got conflicting replies. Because we could not receive a definitive answer, we sent a letter asking for clarification. In the meantime, we're continuing our research.

Any thoughts on whether I'm required to carry W.C. or other insurance for the work I described, and whether my neighbor is required to include these payments in total payroll figure for W.C.?

Thanks very much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">