• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Workmans Comp California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nkechiye

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I work at the same facility as my mother (different departments) and she recently was given a week off by a Doctor. The week is considered workmans comp. As I was leaving to lunch the CFO approached me and asked how my mom is doing? I replied she is ok but I know the doctor gave her some time off. (this is where it gets unoprofessional) He informed me my brother called the job looking for my mom (which is a lie because my bro was at work plus he knows his own mother is off a week). I knew he was getting somewhere so I said well I am not sure how he called hes at work. Then he says if your moms back is on the out, she should be at home resting at not out and about. I responded, maybe shes not by the phone, or sleep or I dont know cause I dont even live with her and I stormed off very upset he tried to catch my mother in a lie through me. Does his comment and him approaching me about another employee violate some kind of law or protocol? I went to HR about it and they said they would talk to him but latley it seems the company is picking on my mother. She just got back from hip surgery and she is short employees and has to work (she is over 50) of course she will get hurt if shes doing a job she isnt even supposed to do and they are slow hiring people. What can we do, feels like harrasment to me.

quincy

I work at the same facility as my mother (different departments) and she recently was given a week off by a Doctor. The week is considered workmans comp. As I was leaving to lunch the CFO approached me and asked how my mom is doing? I replied she is ok but I know the doctor gave her some time off. (this is where it gets unoprofessional) He informed me my brother called the job looking for my mom (which is a lie because my bro was at work plus he knows his own mother is off a week). I knew he was getting somewhere so I said well I am not sure how he called hes at work. Then he says if your moms back is on the out, she should be at home resting at not out and about. I responded, maybe shes not by the phone, or sleep or I dont know cause I dont even live with her and I stormed off very upset he tried to catch my mother in a lie through me. Does his comment and him approaching me about another employee violate some kind of law or protocol? I went to HR about it and they said they would talk to him but latley it seems the company is picking on my mother. She just got back from hip surgery and she is short employees and has to work (she is over 50) of course she will get hurt if shes doing a job she isnt even supposed to do and they are slow hiring people. What can we do, feels like harrasment to me.
It sounds to me, from what you have posted, as if you might be overreacting to innocent expressions of concern by the CFO over your mother's health.

nkechiye

Workmans comp California

It sounds to me, from what you have posted, as if you might be overreacting to innocent expressions of concern by the CFO over your mother's health.
You were not there. If it were innocent he would have stopped at how is your mother. Also employers cant restrict activities outside of work especially on doctors order. I have been working here 7 years and this was not innocent. He lied about my brother calling in order to be able to tell me this. also the tone with which he said and they have been writing her up prior for being hurt. Sounds to me like they have something brewing. Id rather overreact than do nothing. You have to protect yourself because companies are sneaky. This was not an overreaction. If you only have a comment with no regard to help, keep your comment to yourself. Id rather you say nothing than belittle my concerns. If it was innocent I wouldnt not bere here

Last edited:

quincy

You were not there. I have been working here 7 years and this was not innocent. also the tone with which he said and they have been writing her up prior for being hurt. Sounds to me like they have something brewing. Id rather overreact than do nothing. You have to protect yourself because companies are sneaky. This was not an overreaction. If you only have a comment with no regard to help, keep your comment to yourself. Id rather you say nothing than belittle my concerns. If it was innocent I wouldnt not bere here
I recommend you are pleasant to the forum members on this site who are willing to address your legal concerns - or you may find your time on this forum is short. In other words, keep your rude comments to yourself.

You are right that I was not at your place of employment. I do not know your CFO or his motives for asking about your mother's health. If you think something is "brewing" and that the company is being "sneaky," maybe you are right. But there does not appear to be anything illegal going on, based on what you have disclosed here so far.

You're welcome. Have a nice evening.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Does his comment and him approaching me about another employee violate some kind of law or protocol?

No.

Clear enough?

nkechiye

I recommend you are pleasant to the forum members on this site who are willing to address your legal concerns - or you may find your time on this forum is short. In other words, keep your rude comments to yourself.

You are right that I was not at your place of employment. I do not know your CFO or his motives for asking about your mother's health. If you think something is "brewing" and that the company is being "sneaky," maybe you are right. But there does not appear to be anything illegal going on, based on what you have disclosed here so far.

You're welcome. Have a nice evening.
There are plenty other forums so no matter. Rather go to a forum where people arent rude then when someone replies to rudness I am considered rude. I simply said if you arent helping why waste time responding? I come for help not criticism that belittles my concerns. If thats rude then what are you? Ill go to another forum no sweat lol. Ty for any help you did offer have a swell day!

quincy

There are plenty other forums so no matter. Rather go to a forum where people arent rude then when someone replies to rudness I am considered rude. I simply said if you arent helping why waste time responding? I come for help not criticism that belittles my concerns. If thats rude then what are you? Ill go to another forum no sweat lol. Ty for any help you did offer have a swell day!
I was not rude. I gave you my impression based on what you provided in the way of facts.

When you go to another forum, perhaps you might want to rethink how you present the situation you experienced at work and how you present yourself.

You're welcome.

nkechiye

I will take your advice and include more information at the other forum. Thanks. Perhaps you need to rethink the way you present yourself. Instead of being negative and implying that I am overreacting you could have been more professional and said that maybe he is just being nice. See how different and less aggressive that sounded? The sentence I am overreacting can be taken in offense hence the defensive tone in the reply. Before you tell someone else how they can change perhaps look within. Thanks again. Wish you the best

nkechiye

Replace the word professional with positive. I don't know you so I can't judge your professionalism.

quincy

I will take your advice and include more information at the other forum. Thanks. Perhaps you need to rethink the way you present yourself. Instead of being negative and implying that I am overreacting you could have been more professional and said that maybe he is just being nice. See how different and less aggressive that sounded? The sentence I am overreacting can be taken in offense hence the defensive tone in the reply. Before you tell someone else how they can change perhaps look within. Thanks again. Wish you the best
You acted defensively when approached by the CFO, too. "Storming off" sounds to me as if you overreacted to his comments. In fact, it still sounds that way to me, even after a reread of your post. Hence my suggestion to rethink how you pose your question elsewhere (although I suspect the answer to your question will remain the same).

I understand that tone can often be mistaken when one is writing. I meant no offense with my first post. I gave you an honest opinion. But I probably did mean offense with my second post. ;)

I hope your mother recovers and that all becomes right with your world again soon.

I get right away that your CFO was acting wrongfully toward you by insinuating your mother's back problem is not worthy of being off work.

Experience has shown me that if a doctor puts you off of work, it isn't necessary to NOT be out and about. Of course sometimes employers will go to the extreme and hire investigators to try and document facts showing that the injured worker is not injured at all.

You should disregard what your CFO said to you and go about your work as an employee and respond accordingly if something does happen to infringe upon your or your mother's rights further on down the line.

quincy

I get right away that your CFO was acting wrongfully toward you by insinuating your mother's back problem is not worthy of being off work.

Experience has shown me that if a doctor puts you off of work, it isn't necessary to NOT be out and about. Of course sometimes employers will go to the extreme and hire investigators to try and document facts showing that the injured worker is not injured at all.

You should disregard what your CFO said to you and go about your work as an employee and respond accordingly if something does happen to infringe upon your or your mother's rights further on down the line.
How is a CFO approaching an employee and asking about the health of the employee's mother "acting wrongfully," Nellibelle?

jimnyc

No he wasn't, not even slightly. If they received a telephone call, then he was following up on it. Furthermore, this is a LEGAL site, and nothing whatsoever was illegal or against 'protocol'.

nkechiye - just as an Fyi - this poster, "Nellie", strolled in here for their own help with legal issues, and then decided to stay and give out loads of emotional advice ever since, in addition to incorrect legal advice.

nkechiye

Thank you so much Nelliebell. Sounds like you have insight on how companies work. Now that she reported the CFO to HR he was made to apologize and HR did say it was not appropriate. Now the CFO acknowloedged the fact sh.e is a manager working positions and now he is claiming to be proactive in hiring more people. Sounds like he knew what he said was wrong since he called my mother with HR present to apologize. He was wrong in approaching a family member trying to find out if my mom is lying about injury. I'm glad HR saw the inappropriatness. Thanks so much for your honest insight Nellie. If your are looking for honest advice without a chip on the shoulder find another law forum. Or I suggest you stick around and keep answering. Thanks again. Take care.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you so much Nelliebell. Sounds like you have insight on how companies work. Now that she reported the CFO to HR he was made to apologize and HR did say it was not appropriate. Now the CFO acknowloedged the fact sh.e is a manager working positions and now he is claiming to be proactive in hiring more people. Sounds like he knew what he said was wrong since he called my mother with HR present to apologize. He was wrong in approaching a family member trying to find out if my mom is lying about injury. I'm glad HR saw the inappropriatness. Thanks so much for your honest insight Nellie. If your are looking for honest advice without a chip on the shoulder find another law forum. Or I suggest you stick around and keep answering. Thanks again. Take care.
Between yesterday at ~3:36 and this morning at ~7:08, all of this happened?

Bovine Excrement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">