+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    lad1ent@msn.com Guest

    workmans comp-partial loss of finger

    What is the name of your state? Alabama

    2 weeks ago, my son had an accident at work. He worked at a cabinet shop and was using a router to smooth doors and his hand slipped. The router tore his middle finger, including the bone and they had to amputate the top portion. The ring finger was also damaged but they only had to remove the nail and it will grow back. My son has been doing manual labor such as this for the past 4 years, prior to this he was in the electrical field.

    My question is: Does workmans' comp compensate for partial loss of finger? He does not know if he will be able to return to the same type of work field, because his grip is not as strong as it used to be. He is in physical therapy now for the next 3 weeks but he still feels that his ability to return will be doubtful and he is having to consider changing fields.

    I would appreciate any information you could provide concerning his case and if he is qualified to receive a lump sum compensation, does he have to have a lawyer?

    Thank you so much for your assistance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2002

    Your son has what is known as a "scheduled injury" under Worker's Compensation regulations. The loss of each part of the body has a specific dollar amount assigned to it, as gruesome as that sounds. So the loss of the tip of the middle finger is work X. The loss of the finger up to the first knuckle is worth Y, the loss of the finger up to the second knuckle is worth Z, and so forth. Forgive the terrible pun but it's a cut and dried issue and very straightforward. When your son reaches end of healing, the W.C. carrier will award a PPD (permanent partial disability) payment based on the statutory schedule and that should be the end of it. It is not necessary for your son to have legal representation just for this issue.

    Now if your son can no longer work in his previous occupation (although I rather doubt that will prove to be the case), then he may be entitled to vocational rehab and continuing TTD benefits. If things get messy at that point, then he will need a WC attorney.

  3. #3
    lad1ent@msn.com Guest
    Thank you, Beth for this information.

    I will print this and give it to my son.

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. fed workmans comp
    By fed in forum Workplace Injuries & Worker’s Compensation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2006, 09:36 PM
  2. workmans comp help.....
    By kcdcc in forum Workplace Injuries & Worker’s Compensation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-08-2006, 09:46 PM
  3. workmans comp
    By tim tank in forum Workplace Injuries & Worker’s Compensation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2004, 08:11 AM
  4. workmans comp
    By tigger28 in forum Workplace Injuries & Worker’s Compensation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-08-2002, 06:18 AM
  5. Workmans comp ???'s from CO
    By Corockgirl in forum Workplace Injuries & Worker’s Compensation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2002, 07:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.