• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Workmans Comp And Ssd

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobo60

What is the name of your state? NY

can u collect workmans comp, for the rest of your life, and also collect SSD benefits for life, due to your disability? i was told that since both benefits come from the government, you cant have both. is this true????...bob

moburkes

What is the name of your state? NY

can u collect workmans comp, for the rest of your life, and also collect SSD benefits for life, due to your disability? i was told that since both benefits come from the government, you cant have both. is this true????...bob
That is correct. You cannot get paid twice for the same disability.

bobo60

moburkes,

ty. my friend that is currently on workmans comp and ssd says his doctor told him that he is disabled for life. my friend has had multiple operations, and continues to need more surgery. he said as long as he needs operations, they cant deny him workmans comp. i am on disability myself through ssd, and when i go for a physical, periodically, requested by ssa, what THEIR doctor and medical admin determin, overrides what my private doctor says. shouldnt he be worried? something sounds wrong here. i dont want to see things go sour for him. workmans comp has already tried to settle his claim...bob

whidbeytomas

You can collect from both.

I can say with certainty that there is no prohibition between collecting from two govenment sources at once. Many veterans have 100% disability from VA as well as 100% disability from Social Security.

With regard to SSD and Workers compensation: Both are plans that pay-off because you have payed in. I am pretty sure there is no conflict between the two. It is not easy to get social security disability. You have to show that you cannot work in any capacity. This is more difficult for those with education. You cannot even apply for SSD until you have been disabled for six months. The determination period is long. If you have been deemed 100% disabled by a worker's compensation system, you probably have a good chance of getting social security disability. It is pretty nice too, because unlike benefits from workers compensation, SSD is tax-free.

Happy filing!

whidbeytomas

Perhaps I am confused.

I said you can collect both SSD and WC because of my experience with individuals collecting both VA compensation and SSD. That may not mean you can collect from SSD and WC. There are laws that prohibit collecting more than 60% of salary on disability. Perhaps the reason people collect both SSD and VA disabilitty is that the VA payment is classified as compensation rather than disability (if so, that is a technicality that goes a long way). You will just have to check and let us know.

moburkes

Where did you hear that YOU pay into WC? That is WRONG information. And, if you were able to collect both at the same time, you wouldn't need to reimburse WC when you get the initial social security disability check.

bobo60

hello,

like i mentioned in an earlier post. my friend is on BOTH SSD and WC. i asked him how long he is going to continue receiving SSD and WC both. he said, that he would receive both benefit checks every month til he dies. i disagreed with him, because i thought that WC was there to help you until u get well, or you can get disability from SSD or private ins company. like i said, im im SSD, and it was very difficult to get, took me 2 yrs, and im very ill. i dont want my friend to get too conforatble, just to have the rug pulled out from under him! i hope for his sake he can continue to receive WC and SSD, god knows SSD doesnt give you alot to live on, but glad i have tho...bob

jffmstrs

hello,

like i mentioned in an earlier post. my friend is on BOTH SSD and WC. i asked him how long he is going to continue receiving SSD and WC both. he said, that he would receive both benefit checks every month til he dies. i disagreed with him, because i thought that WC was there to help you until u get well, or you can get disability from SSD or private ins company. like i said, im im SSD, and it was very difficult to get, took me 2 yrs, and im very ill. i dont want my friend to get too conforatble, just to have the rug pulled out from under him! i hope for his sake he can continue to receive WC and SSD, god knows SSD doesnt give you alot to live on, but glad i have tho...bob
He might get charged a huge overapyment from SSD several years down the line! Does SSD know he gets WC? Your freind may want to watch what he does because if SSD doesn't approve then your friend will be ruined!

bobo60

jffmstrs,

he talks like both SSD and WC know about each other paying him benefits. a lady i know, is out of work on WC, and then was approved for SSD also, but as soon as SSD found out about WC, SSD cut her monthly benifits more than in half! and now WC keeps trying to get her to settle for a lump sum! ive dealt with SSD, ins companies for my illness, and you have to lay your cards on the table! but he acts like noone can touch him. hell, i still sweat bullets when i get a notice every 3-5 yrs from SSD to go see their doctor for a physical, to see if im still disabled by THEIR GUIDELINES! and i am very ill!...bob

jffmstrs

Well, I was laying my cards on the table when I decided to try and work alittle. SSD said go ahead and work! They told me I could make as much as I wanted the first nine months, and up to $900.00 after that. They never said I would have to pay it back though! They never said they would cut me off, but they did! I can't stand being on disability, I would much rather be able to work full time. It's like, they punish you for trying to work before they or you know for sure you can handle working again.I'll bet your freind will get a stiff overpayment bill. Call SS directly. They should be able to tell you if someone on disability can also draw workmens comp checks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">