• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

workplace allergy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LLSims

What is the name of your state? Iowa
I have worked at my employer for nearly 6 years. About four months after I started, I developed an irritating disorder on my hands. I asked the nurse about it, she said it was probably just from changing my baby's diapers and washing my hands too much. A few months later, I went to a dermatologist. She said the same thing that the nurse at work said and gave me some creams and ointments to use. I struggled with this for a few more years and decided to see another dermatologist. He said the same thing, but included stress in the reason and suggested that it may never go away. After a few treatments with him, he suggested that I see an allergist. The allergist did some testing and found that I am allergic to Colophony (found in pine wood and adhesives) which I use daily at work. He also diagnosed my skin disorder as dyshidrotic eczematous dermatitis - worsed by sweating caused from wearing gloves (at work). I told my manager at work. It took him a week to find a place for me. I asked to talk to HR as I realized my job possiblities were extremely minimal. It's been three weeks and I haven't heard a word from HR. The new job they gave me is not satisfactory to me. I chose the job I had before because I liked the area, the manager and the hours. None of that is true at the new job. My questions are. . .do I have to just be satisfied for the next 32 years with the job they gave me if I want to retire from there (which is what my plans were)? Is there any type of compensation due to me if I decide to leave because of this? What are my rights as an employee - I'm not going to get any straight answers from my employer.

gbarter

Since it took you so long to find the cause of the rash and you didn't lose any work than the company seems to be complying with the labor laws in that they put you in another area to work. As far as any longterm disability first you should see if working in the other department and getting away from what you are allergic to will clear up the rash. If the rash does clear up then I don't believe you have any disability claims.

Beth3

do I have to just be satisfied for the next 32 years with the job they gave me if I want to retire from there (which is what my plans were)? Only if you decide to stay there.

Is there any type of compensation due to me if I decide to leave because of this? No.

What are my rights as an employee - I'm not going to get any straight answers from my employer. Although they didn't have to find you another job at all, they did. You have the right to stay in that job or seek employment elsewhere.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">