• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Workplace endangerment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

n3m0

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I don't know if this question falls under this thread, please move it if it does not.

Here is the background:
I work at a strip mall with several other stores.
There have been robberies at opening hours (at knife-point).
Our store has an alarm and a certain code that allows access AND silently alerts the police if under duress.
This specific code that silently alerts police is non-functional, but SHOULD work.
Management has been made aware of the robberies AND non-functional alarm.

If my store is robbed at opening hours (and I cannot alert the police with the alarm), is my company liable?
What action could be taken, should this occur?

Thanks.

justalayman

If my store is robbed at opening hours (and I cannot alert the police with the alarm), is my company liable?
generally not unless they hired the robbers to rob you

What action could be taken, should this occur?
1. give them the money
2. call the police when able to

commentator

There isn't an OSHA requirement that the place have a functioning silent alarm to alert police in case of a robbery.

justalayman

the other thing I am wondering is:

does the OP think the alarm would actually prevent the robbery? After all, it's not like the precinct is next door and they can just run over and catch the robbery in progress. Chances are the robbers would be long gone by the time the cops got there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">