• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help Needed With Special Needs Trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tinklebear78

What is the name of your state? WA

I care for a disabled and mentally incapacitated individual who has a guardian that handles her personal account and a separate professional trustee that handles her special needs trust. Last year my client was on private pay for a month because her guardian didn’t complete paperwork in time to receive state benefits. The guardian ended up being short about half of the care costs that month, but slowly paid down the balance until there was a couple thousand dollars left. The guardian is now completely out of funds so I went to the trust, who has now refused to pay the balance for the last fourteen months. My client has a six figure sum in her special needs account, so the funds are not the issue.

I was recently advised to take the trust to small claims court, and I advised the trust that I would consider this after a recent conversation with their rep who said that they’re being punished for the guardian’s mistake and that they would get in trouble legally if they paid off the balance, but couldn’t give me specifics for how they would get in trouble. They also disregarded me when I told them that they work for my client, not the other way around, and they basically said that it’s not her money since her now-deceased father set the trust up and gave specific instructions for how to use the funds (the instructions are actually very general).

The trust also covers supplemental needs of the client (clothes, special food items, decor), and after our somewhat contentious conversation last week the rep sent an email saying they would only allocate $250 per quarter for any of my client’s supplemental needs and that all items we purchased and requested reimbursement for would need to be pre-approved by them. They also requested a written attestation for each reimbursement request going forward. For reference, I have been taking care of my client for three years and they never once had an issue with reimbursements or mentioned caps until now. My client’s supplemental needs range from between $100-$200 monthly since my client has a very special diet that requires expensive food items not covered by insurance (low sugar, high protein, ThickIt, etc.), besides the fact that for the first year and a half that my client was in my care, I covered everything out of pocket before the trust began reimbursing.

I am at a loss for what to do. The trust has a lawyer on retainer which is extremely intimidating, and they have made it clear that their priorities do not lie with what is best for my client. They act like the money is theirs for some strange reason. Over the past three years, they have charged $10K in fees to my client’s account but refuse to pay $2K in legitimate care needs on top of now placing a cap on supplemental needs that are literally the only things my client looks forward to. I want to know if I have a case if I take them to small claims court, especially considering that they have a lawyer and I can’t afford one.

The guardian is basically out of the picture and has said she will not get involved. Her relationship with the trust is also very fraught. The trust told me to go after her instead, but she literally doesn’t have money so it would be pointless. The last fourteen months have been so stressful on myself and my client’s provider. My client is extremely heavy care due to physical and mental issues. That money goes a long way for her care and the trust has done the opposite of what they should be doing: looking out for her and her needs, and making our lives easier, not harder.

Any help or advice is appreciated! Sorry for the length!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There are very specific rules for when and what a special needs trust can pay for. The trustee has a duty to their client to make sure those rules are adhered to and also that any distributions from the trust do not negatively impact any benefits they may be receiving elsewhere.

Tell me...who is your contract with?

Zigner

...the trust has done the opposite of what they should be doing: looking out for her and her needs, and making our lives easier, not harder.
I'm quoting this separately on purpose. Making YOUR life easier is in no way a duty of the trust.

Tinklebear78

There are very specific rules for when and what a special needs trust can pay for. The trustee has a duty to their client to make sure those rules are adhered to and also that any distributions from the trust do not negatively impact any benefits they may be receiving elsewhere.

Tell me...who is your contract with?
I have been trying to understand these last few days what the point of a special needs trust is if not to provide supplemental support to the client. If you compare what the trust has actually spent on their client versus what they charge in fees (thousands per year), it's pennies in comparison. To answer your question, during the time on private pay, all benefits were removed and there was no contract. Once the state benefits came back into play, we were contracted through DSHS.

Tinklebear78

I'm quoting this separately on purpose. Making YOUR life easier is in no way a duty of the trust.
Fair enough. Could have been phrased better on my end, but the point still stands that the trust seems to have little to no accountability for what they are actually doing with their client's money. At this rate, the money in the account will be depleted eventually, mostly from fees charged by both the trustee and their lawyer, and not from any supplemental benefits for the client.

LdiJ

If it is true that the trustees are paying themselves 10k a year in fees and are refusing to disperse more that $250.00 a quarter to the beneficiary (1k a year) then if I were a relative of the beneficiary, I would be searching for some hard answers.

Zigner

If it is true that the trustees are paying themselves 10k a year in fees ...
$10k over THREE years (according to the OP). $250-$300 per month in administrative fees is not out of line and was likely known to the person who set up the trust in the first place.

LdiJ

$10k over THREE years (according to the OP). $250-$300 per month in administrative fees is not out of line and was likely known to the person who set up the trust in the first place.
Clearly I misread that. Still, paying themselves 3333.00 per year when only allowing 1000.00 per year for the beneficiary seems absurd.

doucar

Maybe, but that would depend upon the terms of the special needs trust and the rules and regulations of the special needs trust.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">