• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adult step-parent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sautter94

What is the name of your state? indiana My 19 yr. old daughter wants to be adopted by her stepfather who has raised her for 7 yrs. I have some legal experience so the court room or language doesn't fear me. We can't afford to use my current divorce lawyer for this. Since she is an adult of sound mind and body and ready for college, we would like to do this ourselves. Where can I get the forms needed to file the petition package? Would there be a need for a home study,etc. since she is an adult? We also do not need her bio-father consent since she is an adult correct? We are from a small town so the judge and clerk office staff know me well, I think they would work with me on things if they can. She has wanted to do this since she was little and we made her wait until graduating from high school and becoming an adult to make that decision and she still wants to, immediately. Thanks for all your help, we are in real need of help.What is the name of your state?

sautter94

Thanks for your help. I went there, and it didn't tell me where to get the forms. I wonder why you can get forms for just about any type of legal form to file against someone except adoption. I understand there is alot to this process. But yet, years ago you couldn't do your own divorce and now you can. It seems to me it would be that way for adult adoptions. No need for a home study or bio consent. So frustrating.:confused:

Silverplum

sautter94 said:
Thanks for your help. I went there, and it didn't tell me where to get the forms. I wonder why you can get forms for just about any type of legal form to file against someone except adoption. I understand there is alot to this process. But yet, years ago you couldn't do your own divorce and now you can. It seems to me it would be that way for adult adoptions. No need for a home study or bio consent. So frustrating.:confused:
You should probably call the court house and complain. Better yet, go in person and give 'em a hard time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">