• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Agency starting female donor on fertility drugs prior to receiving contract from inte

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hollyjeanp7

This is in Florida..
This 22 year old girl was verbally told by the agency how much she would be compensated, that all things associated with the donation are paid for by the intended parents, she will be listed as not anonymous and that they provide an attorney at no cost to her. They then started her with the appointments for screenings and on the hormone injections. The retrieval date is Tuesday, two days from now and she just received the contract yesterday evening. I was looking it over with her and it is nothing of what she was told. I.e. any cost of complications medically are her expense, the attorney provided is limited to explaining the contract, she is to remain anonymous, any litigation is a shared expense etc.
She is basically suckered into this agreement, which I believe is strategic given the lack of time she has before that retrieval day. Not to mention, should she decline and push off the egg retrieval until the contract is agreeable, she greatly increases her risk of hyperstimulation syndrome... Which according to that contract is her expense/burden... Is this legal?? This can't be right?!

quincy

This is in Florida..
This 22 year old girl was verbally told by the agency how much she would be compensated, that all things associated with the donation are paid for by the intended parents, she will be listed as not anonymous and that they provide an attorney at no cost to her. They then started her with the appointments for screenings and on the hormone injections. The retrieval date is Tuesday, two days from now and she just received the contract yesterday evening. I was looking it over with her and it is nothing of what she was told. I.e. any cost of complications medically are her expense, the attorney provided is limited to explaining the contract, she is to remain anonymous, any litigation is a shared expense etc.
She is basically suckered into this agreement, which I believe is strategic given the lack of time she has before that retrieval day. Not to mention, should she decline and push off the egg retrieval until the contract is agreeable, she greatly increases her risk of hyperstimulation syndrome... Which according to that contract is her expense/burden... Is this legal?? This can't be right?!
She should not sign any agreement if she does not agree to all of its terms or understand all of its terms. She should have an attorney in her area personally review the contract before signing. Once she signs, she can be legally held to its terms.

Good luck.

justalayman

Agency starting female donor on fertility drugs prior to receiving contract from
She had the option of not starting on the meds until she recieved and agreed to the contract.

This 22 year old girl was verbally told by the agency how much she would be compensated, that all things associated with the donation are paid for by the intended parents, she will be listed as not anonymous and that they provide an attorney at no cost to her
I’m not seeing where her medical issues were included, or excluded specifically. You state “all things associated with the donation”. Her medical issues are not necessarily seen as part of the donation. As always, ambiguity breeds misunderstanding and it would have been wise to speak with an attorney prior to beginning the process.

I would suggest she speak with an attorney before continuing. Be warned: the attorney addressed in oral statements may or may not be considered to be “her attorney” and may not be able to advise her or even explain the contract from her perspective. That attorney may offer nothing more than a basic q and a regarding your friends concerns.

I have a concern regarding her concern of anonymity. I can’t imagine a situation where it wouldn’t be in the best interest of all parties to have that separation that anonymity provides. There will be records where your donation will be researchable but as to you and the donees knowing who each is: probably not the best of ideas.

Btw; she could experience hyperstimulation syndrome regardless of whether she allows the harvest or not. Even women who become pregnant (where the treatment is to improve the chances of the woman becoming pregnant) after such treatments can still experience the syndrome. That is something your friend should have researched very well before subjecting herself to the medications.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Keep in my "I was told" is a phrase fraught with misunderstandings. You say she was "suckered" but it may just be a matter of miscommunication or misunderstanding.

ecmst12

She can't just "push off" the retrieval. The eggs are ready when they're ready. She can cancel the cycle and renegotiate for another cycle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">