• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Force dissolving adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Corinnaw

My son was placed into custody pf child protective services 7 years ago due to my drug use. He was then later adopted by my father and step mother. Since then child protective services got involved again and gave me back my son as my parents were deemed unfit and I have been clean for over 3 years and have been actively engaged in treatment. I now have legal permanent guardianship of my biological son. My son now has the constant fear that they will try to take him back. I'm trying to either adopt him back or dissolve the adoption. This is in oregon.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My son was placed into custody pf child protective services 7 years ago due to my drug use. He was then later adopted by my father and step mother. Since then child protective services got involved again and gave me back my son as my parents were deemed unfit and I have been clean for over 3 years and have been actively engaged in treatment. I now have legal permanent guardianship of my biological son. My son now has the constant fear that they will try to take him back. I'm trying to either adopt him back or dissolve the adoption. This is in oregon.
You won't be able to dissolve the adoption. The only way they could have adopted is if your rights were terminated. Apparently they were. You would need to have their rights terminated but that is extremely difficult to do. You would need an attorney. Right now this child is your brother.

Corinnaw

It was child protective services who terminated my rights and then gave my son back to me because my parents were not providing a safe, clean, and clean and sober home for him. I am going to call an attorney after the new year. I have looked into getting their parental rights terminated but I worry about what that means for my son. Can I legally adopt him back after that?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It was child protective services who terminated my rights and then gave my son back to me because my parents were not providing a safe, clean, and clean and sober home for him. I am going to call an attorney after the new year. I have looked into getting their parental rights terminated but I worry about what that means for my son. Can I legally adopt him back after that?
It is NOT that easy to terminate someone's rights. And this is NOT your son -- he is legally your brother now. You might be able to legally adopt him IF the state decides to terminate your parents rights. However, CPS works on reunifying with the parents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">