• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting married

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Adriwin007

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? My fiance wants to legally adopt my 2 sons but the biological fathers pay child support. Do I have to have them sign away their rights or anything? No father is listed on the birth certificates but paternity has been established.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? My fiance wants to legally adopt my 2 sons but the biological fathers pay child support. Do I have to have them sign away their rights or anything? No father is listed on the birth certificates but paternity has been established.
To do what you suggest both you and the fathers would have to sign off on your parental rights.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Well, if OP actually gets married and stays married, then after a couple of years OP's husband could pursue a step parent adoption. Whish is not a DIY project.

And even then, the Dad's would have to sign away their rights voluntarily. Of course, then there's the problem of what to do if one Dad approves the step parent adoption, and the other doesn't, and how that will all be handled...

LdiJ

Your state and the ages of your sons are important information. TY.
And whether or not the fathers of the child are involved at all with the children beyond child support, even if its marginal...and whether or not her "fiancé" actually understand what it means to adopt her children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">