• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Iedwards23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

My wife's mom is filing paperwork to adopt my wife's 3 children. She had guardianship of them for over 10 years. Her mom said they putting in the filing that they want to terminate my wife's parental rights because she hasn't paid child support so they consider that abandoning the kids. My wife hasn't paid any child support in over 2 years. We were getting to see the kids every other weekend until we had a falling out. I read in Oklahoma family law that there is an excemption to get approval from the birth parent if they haven't paid child support in 12 of the last 14 months. Says rigjts can be terminated on the grounds that you are financially supporting the kids. Do have an recourse or will they most likely win case.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

My wife's mom is filing paperwork to adopt my wife's 3 children. She had guardianship of them for over 10 years. Her mom said they putting in the filing that they want to terminate my wife's parental rights because she hasn't paid child support so they consider that abandoning the kids. My wife hasn't paid any child support in over 2 years. We were getting to see the kids every other weekend until we had a falling out. I read in Oklahoma family law that there is an excemption to get approval from the birth parent if they haven't paid child support in 12 of the last 14 months. Says rigjts can be terminated on the grounds that you are financially supporting the kids. Do have an recourse or will they most likely win case.
If your wife gets an attorney and steps up and objects to the adoption then there is a decent chance that the judge will give her another chance...particularly if your wife argues that she was seeing the children on a regular basis until she had a falling out with the grandmother and then the grandmother started denying visitation.

Iedwards23

My wife is fine with giving the children stability but wants the opportunity to be in tje childrens life. Once she able to start paying child support she will legally have that right but if the kids are adopted the grandparents can keep her away from tbe kids and then there is nothing she can do.

LdiJ

My wife is fine with giving the children stability but wants the opportunity to be in tje childrens life. Once she able to start paying child support she will legally have that right but if the kids are adopted the grandparents can keep her away from tbe kids and then there is nothing she can do.
Paying child support is not an admission ticket to see your children. Your wife's problem is that she never went to court to establish visitation rights after she gave grandma guardianship, so there was never any visitation that she could enforce. Again, she has to object to the adoption despite the fact that she has been unable to pay child support, and let the court know that grandma denied visitation. If possible, she really needs an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">