• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about private adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BriannaKristy

My husband and I are doing a private adoption with someone we know. We live in Florida and the mother lives in Georgia. She is 5 months pregnant, we have decided to do the adoption for sure. I'm looking for all the advice I can possibly receive. Main question is what all has to be done legally, we both don't want a lawyer, we would much rather spend thousands of dollars on our baby girl. We are both comfortable and trust one another, if it was someone we didn't know I would absolutely pay for a lawyer. So we are wanting information on exactly what needs to be done without using a lawyer. Where do you start? What all has to be done legal wise? Any information you could provide would be very appreciated. Thanks so much!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My husband and I are doing a private adoption with someone we know. We live in Florida and the mother lives in Georgia. She is 5 months pregnant, we have decided to do the adoption for sure. I'm looking for all the advice I can possibly receive. Main question is what all has to be done legally, we both don't want a lawyer, we would much rather spend thousands of dollars on our baby girl. We are both comfortable and trust one another, if it was someone we didn't know I would absolutely pay for a lawyer. So we are wanting information on exactly what needs to be done without using a lawyer. Where do you start? What all has to be done legal wise? Any information you could provide would be very appreciated. Thanks so much!
An adoption is only very rarely a "do-it-yourself" type of thing. For starters, do/will you have the father's permission?

PayrollHRGuy

You really, really need a lawyer. You mention several times that you are adopting the child from someone you know. Last time I checked two people are still required to make a baby.

Just Blue

What you are failing to understand is spending several k on the attorney is for the "baby girl".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">