• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step mom adopting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmeljc719

What is the name of your state? florida
My son has recently gotten primary custody of his 2 girls.now the mother wants to give up her parental rights to the girls,my son has tried to get her to not do that for the best interest of the girls,he has asked her to go to counciling with him and to please not give up her rights.she has went so far as to tell the girls 3 yrs and 8yrs old that she isnt going to pick them up any more nor will she be their mommy anymore.why she has chosen to do this is beyond me.they just adore their step mom and as she does them,my question is ,she wants to adopte the girls .how would this work? im just curious because i have heard of the step father adopting but wondered how the step mom adopting would be done since she already has their last name confused:

Perky

My son has recently gotten primary custody of his 2 girls.now the mother wants to give up her parental rights to the girls,my son has tried to get her to not do that for the best interest of the girls,he has asked her to go to counciling with him and to please not give up her rights.she has went so far as to tell the girls 3 yrs and 8yrs old that she isnt going to pick them up any more nor will she be their mommy anymore.why she has chosen to do this is beyond me.they just adore their step mom and as she does them,my question is ,she wants to adopte the girls .how would this work? im just curious because i have heard of the step father adopting but wondered how the step mom adopting would be done since she already has their last name confused:
This sounds very familiar...

Are you a party in this mess? https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=402806

I suggest you read that thread thoroughly. All the advice you will ever need is in that thread.

Last edited:

Perky

Yeah, sad, huh?

I felt sorry for the mom in this mess before. Now I feel REAL sorry, because it seems that the MIL is also an overstepping, overbearing, overeager *****!

Just Blue

Mind your own business. And tell your DIL to mind hers as well. If DAD wants to find out information have him sign up with his own user name and we will advise HIM!

Gracie3787

Tell your son to get a consult with an attorney.

He can get a low cost consult by calling the FL Bar Lawyer Referral Service at 1-800-342-8011.

And I agree with everyone else, please stay out of the situation and let your son, his ex, and your DIL ask the questions.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

He can get a low cost consult by calling the FL Bar Lawyer Referral Service at 1-800-342-8011.

And I agree with everyone else, please stay out of the situation and let your son, his ex, and your DIL ask the questions.
DIL has been asking the questions. She is the one who thinks she is better than mom and has done everything she can to kick mom out of the situation. And my bet is that this is that very same stepmom posting under a different persona.

So concernedstepmom why the duplicity? And if this is not concernedstepmom then this whole family needs psychological help before they destroy these children.

Thank You Gracie, My husband has an attorney and he has already contacting him regarding this issue.

OG I do respect your opinions regarding the law. I do know my place in this situation. I have this name and this name only. My MIL did make this post. I discovered it this morning.

With that being said. My husband has an attorney that he has contacted in regards to this.

I asked questions regarding what the girls said. True.. I asked what could be done if in fact what the girls said was in fact true.. I got slammed with personal opinions. NOT legal answers.

Yes of course it was only a couple of weeks now going on a month since Dad has heard from her.

My husband recieved a call from Mom's Dad a few days ago. Inquiring about getting the girls this coming up weekend. My husband told him he didn't have a problem but it was Mom's weekend and he would need to get up with her. My husband told her Dad that he has made numerous calls to no availability. He said that he would email her and give my husband a call back. Ten minutes or so had passed her dad called back and told my husband he would read Mom's email word for word. He himself was in disbelief.

My husband then recieved an email from Mom after getting off the phone with her Dad. Confirming her intentions of giving up her parental rights. Dad has since by email has had steady contact with her trying to get her to go to counseling. She refuses.

I do not think that I am better than Mom. We do have different parenting styles, yes.

Again I will say there is way more to this than me posting on here. I did NOT have any impact on the Judges decision. He thought it was in the girls best interest to be here. You being a lawyer should know how hard it is to have custody reversed. With that being said: If Mom does go through with having her parental rights terminated. An adoption will not take place right away. As it is going to be hard on the girls and they will be our main focus. Regardless of what Mom chooses to do. In the eyes of the law she will be a legal stranger but in the eyes of these girls she will be forever their Mom whom they love and miss very much.

I do not come here for answers that I want to hear. SO please keep that in mind before responding.

OG I do respect your opinions regarding the law. I do know my place in this situation. I have this name and this name only. My MIL did make this post. I discovered it this morning.

With that being said. My husband has an attorney that he has contacted in regards to this.

I asked questions regarding what the girls said. True.. I asked what could be done if in fact what the girls said was in fact true.. I got slammed with personal opinions. NOT legal answers.

Yes of course it was only a couple of weeks now going on a month since Dad has heard from her.

My husband recieved a call from Mom's Dad a few days ago. Inquiring about getting the girls this coming up weekend. My husband told him he didn't have a problem but it was Mom's weekend and he would need to get up with her. My husband told her Dad that he has made numerous calls to no availability. He said that he would email her and give my husband a call back. Ten minutes or so had passed her dad called back and told my husband he would read Mom's email word for word. He himself was in disbelief.

My husband then recieved an email from Mom after getting off the phone with her Dad. Confirming her intentions of giving up her parental rights. Dad has since by email has had steady contact with her trying to get her to go to counseling. She refuses.

I do not think that I am better than Mom. We do have different parenting styles, yes.

Again I will say there is way more to this than me posting on here. I did NOT have any impact on the Judges decision. He thought it was in the girls best interest to be here. You being a lawyer should know how hard it is to have custody reversed. With that being said: If Mom does go through with having her parental rights terminated. An adoption will not take place right away. As it is going to be hard on the girls and they will be our main focus. Regardless of what Mom chooses to do. In the eyes of the law she will be a legal stranger but in the eyes of these girls she will be forever their Mom whom they love and miss very much.

I do not come here for answers that I want to hear. SO please keep that in mind before responding.
OMG!!!! I cannot believe the amount of overstepping going on here. Stepmom, I cannot believe you are back here again. But once again, you AND MIL need to back OFF!!!

milspecgirl

i'm confused- i didn't know any state except tx would let you do a termination without an adoption except in very RARE circumstances

according to hubby's lawyer.. Florida is an exception to the rule.
It does not really matter because the mother has only been absent from their lives for about a month. That is not abandoment. Would you just sit back and allow the PARENTS of these children solve their own problems!!:mad:

It does not really matter because the mother has only been absent from their lives for about a month. That is not abandoment. Would you just sit back and allow the PARENTS of these children solve their own problems!!:mad:
Would you be so kind to practice what you keep preaching. You are here why? Attention perhaps?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">