• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can anyone on this planet tell me why i am paying child support?!?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshockey17

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My ex has a college degree, i have a college degree. She has a professional career I have a professional career. She has a home (better than mine) I have a home. She has the kids half the time I have the kids half the time. If you add our 2 salaries she makes she makes 44% and I make 56%.

WHAT AM I PAYING FOR? I AM PAYING THE SAME AS A PARENT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THEIR CHILDREN!!

I am a hands on dad and a great parent. Why am i being forced to donate money to her?!? Can anyone on this planet tell me why?!?

Thanks

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My ex has a college degree, i have a college degree. She has a professional career I have a professional career. She has a home (better than mine) I have a home. She has the kids half the time I have the kids half the time. If you add our 2 salaries she makes she makes 44% and I make 56%.

WHAT AM I PAYING FOR? I AM PAYING THE SAME AS A PARENT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THEIR CHILDREN!!

I am a hands on dad and a great parent. Why am i being forced to donate money to her?!? Can anyone on this planet tell me why?!?

Thanks
How much CS are you paying?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The devil's in the details. What is your *specific* time-share (particularly overnights)? Is the support court-ordered (i.e. per the NYS calculator), or was the amount agreed upon by the two of you and then included in the order? Was the support ordered while there was a different time-share and not modified when parenting time was (if it was)? How are insurance, day/after school care (if applicable), extracurricular expenses, etc. allocated?

adjusterjack

Why am i being forced to donate money to her?!? Can anyone on this planet tell me why?!?
For one thing, you make more money than she does. That's a factor.

And there are many other factors (as already mentioned) that go into the mix.

You should have a calculations worksheet that the court used to set the amount. What does it say?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When you say, you have the kids half the time, do you mean exactly half the time? 84 hours a week, no more and no less, each and every week?

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Here is a NY child support estimator tool provided by the NY gov; we can see here that in NY only the non-custodial parent's income is used:

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/hra/help/child-support-calculator.page

There are 365 days in the year so one of you has one more overnight than the other and that parent appears to be Mom in this case. That means she's the CP, and you're the NCP.

Any questions?

Just Blue

Again...OP Posting Hx is ..important. OP is whining about his life for the last 2 years. :( (drat that there is no pouty face emogie)

mshockey17

The devil's in the details. What is your *specific* time-share (particularly overnights)? Is the support court-ordered (i.e. per the NYS calculator), or was the amount agreed upon by the two of you and then included in the order? Was the support ordered while there was a different time-share and not modified when parenting time was (if it was)? How are insurance, day/after school care (if applicable), extracurricular expenses, etc. allocated?
EXACTLY half the time....

Just Blue

The reason you have to pay support is that a court ordered you to. AFTER reviewing the facts. Which we don't have. I suggest you consult with the attorney you hired to review your case if you are still unsure why it was ordered.

Last edited by a moderator:

mshockey17

Here is a NY child support estimator tool provided by the NY gov; we can see here that in NY only the non-custodial parent's income is used:

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/hra/help/child-support-calculator.page

There are 365 days in the year so one of you has one more overnight than the other and that parent appears to be Mom in this case. That means she's the CP, and you're the NCP.

Any questions?

Custodial vs custodial as far as I have seen means absolutely nothing. I have the kids exactly half the time and do everything for them that they need. I am a hands on dad and do not see why me earning 6% more means that I give her anything. Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Custodial vs custodial as far as I have seen means absolutely nothing. I have the kids exactly half the time and do everything for them that they need. I am a hands on dad and do not see why me earning 6% more means that I give her anything. Thanks
You fail to acknowledge the fact that one of you, in every year except leap years, has the child one more overnight than the other. This applies even in a "50/50" situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">