+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    3

    Ex not fulfilling their part of the agreement.

    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado.

    My divorce was finalized a year ago and I have been separated for 2 years.

    We still own a house together. In the divorce agreement, I am to get half of the house refinance value. There was never a time limit on the agreement as to when the refinance needed to be done.

    My credit is completely tied up in that house and the other party is letting it deteriorate, which must be reducing the value.
    I realize there was never a time limit as to when the refinance had to be done, but what can I do to begin the process of getting the other party to fulfill their end of the agreement?


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    71,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey Malone View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado.

    My divorce was finalized a year ago and I have been separated for 2 years.

    We still own a house together. In the divorce agreement, I am to get half of the house refinance value. There was never a time limit on the agreement as to when the refinance needed to be done.

    My credit is completely tied up in that house and the other party is letting it deteriorate, which must be reducing the value.
    I realize there was never a time limit as to when the refinance had to be done, but what can I do to begin the process of getting the other party to fulfill their end of the agreement?
    Go back to court...however, you do realize that your ex-spouse may not be able to refinance in his/her name alone, right? Why wasn't the house ordered sold?


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    3
    Thank you for the reply, I just need more specifics.
    When would the house be ordered sold? Would that be after I file something to the court to make them aware of the situation?
    I don't know what to file to even go back to court at this point.
    Thanks.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    71,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey Malone View Post
    Thank you for the reply, I just need more specifics.
    When would the house be ordered sold? Would that be after I file something to the court to make them aware of the situation?
    I don't know what to file to even go back to court at this point.
    Thanks.
    If it's ordered sold and still doesn't sell...what then?

    You are going to want to speak with a local attorney about this matter.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey Malone View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado.

    My divorce was finalized a year ago and I have been separated for 2 years.

    We still own a house together. In the divorce agreement, I am to get half of the house refinance value. There was never a time limit on the agreement as to when the refinance needed to be done.

    My credit is completely tied up in that house and the other party is letting it deteriorate, which must be reducing the value.
    I realize there was never a time limit as to when the refinance had to be done, but what can I do to begin the process of getting the other party to fulfill their end of the agreement?
    You really ought to be asking the attorney that represented you in the divorce case and left you hanging out to dry! Or would I be safe in assuming that you were represented by the same unqualified person you see in the mirror each morning while shaving?

    Anyway you are not the first divorced husband who put themselves in this fix by saving some money, nor the last. We see them in here moaning over the same predicaments week by week. (In one recent episode the ex-wife has been sitting on the home and the former husband's equity for ten years!)

    But setting that aside if you want to some ideas as to what recourse you have, then you need to recite for us verbatim all of the language in the decree (and/or this so called "divorce agreement" that was incorporated into the decree) as they relate to the disposition of the home and the mortgage on the home. Not just your interpretation, but the exact language.

    In the meantime don't be swayed by the often proffered guesswork that it is just as simple as going back to court as if it had revolving doors. It ain't that simple. There are no revolving doors.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    3
    Yeah I'm not here to get your emotional/coy reply.
    Of course I represented myself, just like the other party and most other regular jagoffs that have 0 money.
    I thought there was maybe an actual, knowledgeable person that could hit me with a quick 'yeah file an order for _____' or 'file this with the court.'
    If I wanted trolls with opinions, I'd go to Facebook comments.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    71,315
    Quote Originally Posted by latigo View Post
    You really ought to be asking the attorney that represented you in the divorce case and left you hanging out to dry! Or would I be safe in assuming that you were represented by the same unqualified person you see in the mirror each morning while shaving?

    Anyway you are not the first divorced husband who put themselves in this fix by saving some money, nor the last. We see them in here moaning over the same predicaments week by week. (In one recent episode the ex-wife has been sitting on the home and the former husband's equity for ten years!)

    But setting that aside if you want to some ideas as to what recourse you have, then you need to recite for us verbatim all of the language in the decree (and/or this so called "divorce agreement" that was incorporated into the decree) as they relate to the disposition of the home and the mortgage on the home. Not just your interpretation, but the exact language.

    In the meantime don't be swayed by the often proffered guesswork that it is just as simple as going back to court as if it had revolving doors. It ain't that simple. There are no revolving doors.
    Sexist much?
    And, to address your last sentence...the fact is that the OP would HAVE TO go back to court for any contempt action s/he may be contemplating.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    71,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey Malone View Post
    Yeah I'm not here to get your emotional/coy reply.
    Of course I represented myself, just like the other party and most other regular jagoffs that have 0 money.
    I thought there was maybe an actual, knowledgeable person that could hit me with a quick 'yeah file an order for _____' or 'file this with the court.'
    If I wanted trolls with opinions, I'd go to Facebook comments.
    Great way to endear yourself to the attorney who replied to your thread. I guess you're lashing out because you realize the truthfulness of his statement.

    Your attorney will be happy to tell you what to file. Good day.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,921
    WHat idiot would use the term 1/2 of the refinance value of a home ....sorry ..check the mirror ..


+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-27-2012, 08:32 PM
  2. Part time MBA student with agreement with company
    By mdmalibu22 in forum Hiring, Firing & Wrongful Termination
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-24-2010, 11:52 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-14-2008, 03:03 PM
  4. *part two* of childcare agreement contract in houston
    By missy99 in forum Consumer Contracts, Guarantees and Warranties
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2001, 09:41 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.