• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I respond to request for acknowledgedment for paternity?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Superesx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am in the state of Pennsylvania

This is a old issue I'm seeking advice on. Someone I was with back in 2015 fled the state and left for another state after telling me they are pregnant with my child. Later on in early 2017 this same person reached out to me on multiple proxy/fake #s threatening me as well as my family with child support. A month after the harassment I get a court order stating I am the parent I must sign over all my personal information, financial income, and submit to paying child support for a child I don't know if is mine(i disputed the fact it was not my child). So then i submit a appeal and it was approved for paternity DNA testing. Before I was able to go for a paternity test the case was closed and I was relieved of having to sign any paperwork or submit my DNA. I did do a DNA submission but the accuser had no proof and also denied my ability for a DNA test. The court closed the case as their was no proof, I wasn't on the birth certificate, and I didn't need to provide DNA testing that I requested as apart of my appeal. When I went for a blood test the accuser then canceled the court regarding blood testing. Then the case was closed. 9mo later I get a message outta the blue asking for my signature on a acknowledgement of paternity request by supposed accuser again (another fake #) text.

How am I suppose to respond?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am in the state of Pennsylvania

This is a old issue I'm seeking advice on. Someone I was with back in 2015 fled the state and left for another state after telling me they are pregnant with my child. Later on in early 2017 this same person reached out to me on multiple proxy/fake #s threatening me as well as my family with child support. A month after the harassment I get a court order stating I am the parent I must sign over all my personal information, financial income, and submit to paying child support for a child I don't know if is mine(i disputed the fact it was not my child). So then i submit a appeal and it was approved for paternity DNA testing. Before I was able to go for a paternity test the case was closed and I was relieved of having to sign any paperwork or submit my DNA. I did do a DNA submission but the accuser had no proof and also denied my ability for a DNA test. The court closed the case as their was no proof, I wasn't on the birth certificate, and I didn't need to provide DNA testing that I requested as apart of my appeal. When I went for a blood test the accuser then canceled the court regarding blood testing. Then the case was closed. 9mo later I get a message outta the blue asking for my signature on a acknowledgement of paternity request by supposed accuser again (another fake #) text.

Why respond to her directly at all?
Why don't YOU go to court and have the DNA testing ordered? That way, you can ensure that support, custody and visitation matters are all handled appropriately if you are the father, and you can be done with this if you're not the father.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why respond to her directly at all?
Why don't YOU go to court and have the DNA testing ordered? That way, you can assure that support, custody and visitation matters are all handled appropriately if you are the father, and you can be done with this if you're not the father.
THIS. THIS. This. SUE HER for paternity testing and child support, custody and visitation.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The other option is to ignore it and wait until you get officially summoned to court.
The downside to that is if he ends up being served by publication, or even if mom has someone lie about service. He'd be totally in the dark and blindsided at some point down the road due to the default finding of paternity. It's better to be proactive than to be reactive.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
First I would suggest you find out exactly why the previous paternity case was ended. This matters because if the case was ended in way that would preclude her bringing the case again (known in the law as res judicata or claim preclusion) then the matter is over and cannot be brought up again. While that is not likely given what you said, until you know for certain exactly what ended the case there is at least some possibility that res judicata applies.

If it doesn’t apply, then the decision turns a lot on what you want to do. You may either take the matter up yourself and file for paternity or you may wait until she does (if ever). There are pros and cons to each one. Note that part of this decision will depend on which state she is now in, the state you are now in, and how easily you can find her to serve if you wanted to start the process yourself. My suggestion to you here is to meet with a family law attorney, go over all the facts, and discuss your options. Unlike some of the others who responded here, I do not believe that you starting the case yourself is always going to be the best option and as I do not have all the facts I will not venture to say what the right course of action ought to be. The one thing I think we all agree upon is that you do not want to sign any acknowledgement of paternity until at least you have verified with an independent DNA test that you are the father.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">